16. Full Moon [ii]

This chapter is dedicated to _sugarcoated for her amazing comments which made me laugh. Literally.

16.

Everything in my system froze when those three words flew out of her mouth. It doesn't make much sense as to why a five year old would know that our predator is going to kill us, when we have a chance to escape before they reach us.

I held onto her tighter and ignore Avril's yelling for us to get out of the danger zone this instant. Bringing the phone closer to my ear, as I open my mouth to speak my first word to Avril, a growl rumbles not far away from us.

"Indie? Indie?... Dammit! Stay with me on the phone!"

Turning a deaf ear at Avril's consistent calling out of our names, I twist my head slowly to the source of the animalistic growl and so did Robyn. I felt her grip tightens on the sleeve of my shirt and it's either her body or mine that's quivering since our body are almost mould into one - that's how inseparable our bodies are at the moment.

My breathing hitched in my throat, Robbie stiffens in my arms. Standing at less than ten yards away from us, there stood at least five to seven wolves, with blood red eyes. One of the wolves puts its front paw forward and it disclose its sharp and pointy teeth at us, making both Robbie and I cry out loud in stupefaction.

Intuitively my feet move backwards on their own accord, seeing that half of my brain had shut off. My phone slips out of my grasp, my knees buckle within me, threatening to drop my body to the ground. Avril cries sounds faint as my phone finally hits the dirty ground.

I keep moving backwards until the back of my sneakers hit the wooden stairs. The wolves, too, took a step closer every time I move one step backwards. With only limited lighting, I could only see the wolf's eyes, its sharp teeth and when it finally came out of the darkness, a gasp emits from my mouth.

Standing on all fours, almost the same height as me, is a dark brown almost black wolf. Its ears were strained, like listening to any sounds - from us, its prey or from any other animals that's in the woods, I wouldn't know.

Only that wolf among the rest of them moves. It's like he's the leader of the wolf pack, as every other bloody red eyes flickers between us and him, before finally settling at us. The black wolf took another step forward only to be abruptly pushed back with such force that it flew backwards and land on the ground with a loud THUD!

The wolf growls noisily as it gets up on all fours again. This time he charges again at us, not believing what'd happened the first time. The wolf was once again being thrown across when he was less than five yards away from us.

"He can't get in, don't worry." Robbie finally spoke, breaking the deathly silence since the wolves arrival.

I furrow my brows in confusion at what she said. "What do you mean they can't get in?"

"This place is protected." She looks at me solemnly. "They won't be able to attack us."

A loud snarl broke our conversation as my head snaps to the murderous sound. At the end where the rest of the wolves stand, there were another wolf pack standing tall with pride, and power radiates from them. The thing is, this pack, the newly arrive, they weren't facing us instead they were facing the black wolf pack.

"They aren't going to fight, are they?" I whisper softly to Robbie when I examine their stance; getting ready to fight.

"They are going to fight, but not that pack there," She points to the powerful aura pack, "they're here to protect us."

I snap my gaze to her, "And how do you know all these? They might eat us after they won."

"They won't." Robbie replies, almost snapping at me. "Sorry... Avril will be here soon. Grab your phone and hide." She adds, whispering. "One more thing, it pays to watch Nat Geo."