waiting for their own-part two // gatty (george and matty)

Start from the beginning

Matty didn’t protest, and when George kissed further down his neck and then slid down his body, he begged for him to continue and pushed all the stressful thoughts of choosing a name to the back of his mind.

.:.

“What about this one?” Ross asked, gesturing to a crib with a dark wood finish. Matty came over from where he stood further down the aisle, considering another crib that fit the measurements of the room.

John, Ross, George, and Matty had all been out at lunch earlier in the day, munching happily as they discussed their work and plans for the upcoming baby, when Matty brought up that he was in need of visiting the baby store nearby. He only brought it up to George so that they could remember to stop by at a later time, but John, once hearing how close the store was, insisted that the four of them make a stop there after lunch. This was where they found themselves now, strolling up and down countless aisles of baby toys, furniture, and clothing. Today, George and Matty were specifically focused on furniture, as most of the nursery was finished, but a few vital pieces were missing, like a crib.

Matty bent closer to the tag on the side and read off the measurements. “Yeah, I mean that would fit. George, what do you think?”

George looked over, as he was busy looking at the crib on the opposite side of the aisle. “Hmm,” he said pensively. “I quite like the wood color. It will look good with the yellow walls, don’t you think?”

“I like it,” John said, speaking up enthusiastically. “It’s not too decorative, you know? Still modern, but not too plain either.”

George looked at the price tag. “That’s not too bad. I mean, it’s a bit closer to our budget that I’d like, but it’s not too expensive. It looks like a nice one.”

“They all look nice, George,” Matty reminded him. “And some have got this, and some have got that, and most of these bells and whistles I don’t even know what to do with.” He slouched, discouraged. “I give up, just pick one.”

“It’s okay, love, we’ll find one,” George said, sensing his husband’s patience wearing thin. Even he had to admit there were a lot to choose from. “There will be one that just works for us, yeah?”

“But what if we get the wrong one?” Matty worriedly asked. “Then what?”

“I think you could return it,” Ross said. “It’s just a crib, Matty, it’s not the end of the world if you choose the wrong one.”

“There’s still at least twenty to choose from,” Matty said, deflated, “and that’s just in this store.”

George caught Matty’s gaze and couldn’t help but feel sorry for him. Matty had been hard on himself lately, stressing about both choosing a name and preparing the nursery for the baby’s rapidly upcoming arrival. No wonder he patience was wearing thin, George realized.

“Ross, why don’t you and Matty go to the clothing section and pick out some things?” George suggested. “I’ll meet you over there in a minute. I read in one of my books that you need twice as many onesies as you think you’ll need, so there’s no way we have enough.”

Even though it was a small distraction, it seemed to work. Matty perked up a bit, relieved at not having to deal with a decision as heavily weighted as a crib. He even smiled a bit and teased George for bringing up something about babies yet again that he read in one of his books. George spent all his spare time these days educating himself about caring for a baby.

“We want to buy some stuff, too,” Ross said on behalf of John and himself before they paired off and headed in separate ways. “It’s customary, isn’t it?”