Chapter 32: she's not dead is she?

I sat at the kitchen table playing with the food on plate, emotionless

I sat at the kitchen table playing with the food on plate, emotionless. The moment we arrived Suzy and I were given food at the table and told to eat. Neither of us were hungry. I looked around the kitchen, everything was remodeled and looked absolutely stunning.

Carrie was still talking to the foster parents – Kimberly and Marcus. It was only three in the afternoon and all I wanted to do at this point was just sleep my life away.

"I'm not hungry." Suzy pouted, dropping the fork on the plate of mac and cheese. "I don't want to eat. I want my mommy." I watched as her eyes became watery, and she started crying. She's six years old, ten years younger than I am. That's an entire decade, why does she need to go through this? I hate this.

I turned away from her because watching the tears fall from her bright green eyes made my heart ache. Standing up, I got off the stool chair and looked out the kitchen window toward the backyard. There was a dog back there, a big old Saint Bernard. "Suzy.... look, its a doggie." I motioned, turning to look at her again. Her big ole eyes got bigger and she hopped off the stool and came running to me. I picked her up onto the counter and pointed out the window to the Saint Bernard laying down with it's head sticking out the dog house.

"Let's go play with it." Suzy said, putting her hand on the glass. I nod my head, setting her back onto the floor. The both of us went out the back sliding door and into the yard.

Immediately the pup stood up and started barking. We walked closer, and noticed it was chained up to the dog house. I went toward it first and started to pet it as it licked my face. A laugh escaped my mouth causing Suzy to come over and pet the dog, only for it to tackle her to the ground with kisses. She laughed, and laughed causing me to join in with her some more.

I forgot where we were for a bit – everything felt surreal, at the moment I was fine with how life was. A few minutes later, Kimberly came out smiling at us. "I see you guys like Kovu." She said, walking over to us. We both stopped playing with the dog simultaneously and moved away. "It's okay, you guys can play with him. He loves kids."

Glancing at Suzy, I nodded my head to her and she went back to playing with the dog. I stood up and leaned up against the dog house watching her play with him.

"So Alexis, Carrie was telling me that you went to WestBrooke High..." She said walking over to me.

  I nodded my head, keeping quiet and listened as she told me about the school a few streets over – Meadowlane Highschool. I've heard of it of course. I've seen them when they came to our school for games, not my favourite crowd. But I can't stop me going there. It's either I do, or I repeat senior year.

  I tuned Kimberly out and stared at the grass, no thoughts filling my mind – just total blankness. I had nothing on my mind, well atleast I think I didn't.