The caravan of our vehicles drove the short distance to LaClede's Landing, where Romley's club was celebrating its grand opening. The name of the club turned my stomach, as the innuendo meant more to me, knowing Romley's sick tastes. It was called The Back Room, which would mean little to the ignorant humans who would attend, but Romley had always had a penchant for BDSM, and the couple of times I had been to his home, he always insisted that I see him in his 'play room'. It was the back room of his house where he practiced his sick games with whichever desperate prey he had at the moment. The Brethren had never had a problem with it, as they claimed all of the victims were there of their own accord.

As planned, each vehicle was parked at a different vector, so that if we all needed to get away together, there would be quick access to a vehicle if necessary. We were all fast on foot, but if any of us were injured, a car would be the safest choice.

Aiden and I pulled up on the North side, two blocks from the club, parking on the street. Besides each of us being armed, we were using hidden microphones and earpieces to communicate. In the background, I listened as the others made idle chatter while getting into position. Aiden and I were to be the first to enter, so we quickly made our way to the line out front. A bouncer was only letting a select few in, while hopefuls milled on the sidewalk out front. There were news cameras and reporters present, as well as a DJ playing music in the street. The road directly in front of the club had been closed down, allowing the waiting crowd to fill the street as well. Instead of going to the line, among much protest from those waiting, Aiden and I made our way to the front of the line to gain entry. I knew that if I flashed enough money, we would be allowed in. Besides, we both looked like wealthy men out on the town.

Under the flashing lights and neon glow, a towering black man stood beside an equally impressive tough looking white man. As we approached, the black man stepped forward. At first the wall of a man that was the bouncer planted himself firmly in front of us, but when I stepped a bit closer and reached to shake his hand, barely concealing the hundred dollar bill there, he gave us a smile, and stepped aside.

"Welcome to The Back Room," he said. "Enjoy your night with us. You can have whatever you want here, for a price."

I wondered what he meant by the remark, hoping it did not mean exactly what he said. Romley was no longer here to lead in the debauchery I knew him to be capable of, but if he was only a pawn and there were higher powers at play here, I was concerned for the hapless humans who might be preyed upon here. I catalogued this information though, as Aiden and I made our way into the dimly lit club. The music from the DJ outside gave way to trance like music being played by the band inside. Popular music was blended with a thudding bass that pulsed through my body as we moved past the entrance.

Leaning nearer to Aiden, I said, "Lead the way. I want to get in and get out. This is not my idea of a good time."

"Aww, man! We can't have any fun," Aiden replied. At the look I gave him, he added, "I'm just kidding. Come on."

The air was smoky, but it smelled artificial, like it was being produced by a fog machine. Strobe lights flashed to the music, and laser images were projected around the huge space, painting the walls, floor and partiers with colorful patterns.

Aiden led the way through the swaying throng. The dance floor was so full, it was nearly impossible to move. We had to brush away groping hands as we made our way to the lounge area in the back. I was grabbed more than once by both men and women in obscene ways. I could see the swirls of desperation and intoxication blending in the auras of those around me. It was almost dizzying. This was another reason I avoided crowded places. While I was all business, Aiden cleared a path as he gyrated momentarily with whomever reached for him. It seemed to be a rather effective way to move through the crowd, but I wanted nothing to do with it.