Chapter 54. New Developments*

I've added to this chapter a bit of Jean and Hawk. It is in the latter third of the chapter, and if you are offended by homosexuality, please avoid it. I thought about adding another .5 chapter here, but thought that the information is important for the story that comes along with it.

Chapter 54. After the Storm by Mumford & Sons

Emil

My aversion to leading the Guardians grew as I inwardly fought my desire to run away with Evan and take her to a secret hideaway, where I knew I could keep her and our daughter safe. This was precisely why I had never sought a companion, knowing in my soul that I would not sacrifice one responsibility for the other. Struggling to accept the help of my brothers, I had yet to relinquish my reluctance to trust them.

Hawk drew my attention when he began speaking. "I know some of those loyal to Aristarchus and Romley. Good show, Aiden, killing that son of a bitch. Pierre and Veronica were with Romley when he slashed me. They came through while Xavier was fighting off the Newborns and protecting Hannah. I think that's why you didn't see them. They were more than happy to let those mindless zombies do their fighting. They didn't count on me coming in from behind. I didn't count on coming up against Romley. He was a scrappy git. Romley bragged about having Aristarchus and Benjamin on his side, mumbled some shit about setting a trap with Ari for you guys. I don't quite know what he was talking about."

"We found Aristarchus with his heart ripped out in the Council chambers. Conveniently, there was only one heart in the room lying near him. We put it back and while we were searching for other survivors. Unfortunately, he got away. The other bodies in the chamber belonged to human women they had misused terribly," Tourneau explained.

Hawk let off a string of curses that would embarrass any sailor, and continued, "Goddam, Jean, Emil. That is exactly what we've fought to prevent all these years. How did it come to this?"

"Hawk, we feel the same. Do you know anything else that might help us figure out the next step?" I said, not wanting to get off track.

"Yeah, shit. As I lay there bleeding, Romley bragged about getting inside information from Tourneau through his lover," Hawk said more as a question than a statement. He was looking to Jean for an explanation.

"Unfortunately, that part may be true. I thought I had found a partner in Rafael. He and Bong-Li had come here with me, so I could introduce them to Emil. I had no idea they were part of a larger plot to overthrow the Guardians. I don't know how I missed it. Rafael was very controlling, and I apparently fell prey to his wiles. Bong-Li never cared much for me, saw me as usurping her place with Rafael, or so I thought. I think it would be safe to say that Rafael was not as invested in the relationship as I was, at least not for the same reason," my friend admitted softly. He impressed me with his openness. He'd never been so forthcoming with his sexuality in front of other Guardians before. Then again, maybe he had not been so sure in the past.

Watching emotions flit across Hawk's face as he chose his next words, the feelings he held for Tourneau were thinly veiled. He ended up saying, "I wouldn't believe you would do anything purposely to harm innocents. I have to believe you were used as a pawn, though it surprises me too. You were always so cautious of other vampires."

"I know. I figured since I was on the other side of the world, my life here couldn't haunt me. How wrong I was," Jean answered ruefully.

"That was the past, Jean. Let's move forward and be glad we all survived," I said, wanting to get my friend's mind off his losses. "Hawk, do you know anything of Luther and Steele?"

"No. What about you guys, Malachi or Aiden? Did you have any plans to rendezvous with them?" Hawk asked as he went to stand next to Tourneau, who had moved off to the side, looking out the shoulder high windows down the wall from the sofa.