Chapter 17. Gone*

Chapter 17. The Kill by 30 Seconds to Mars

Evan clutched the seat edge and watched as Emil effortlessly steered the car along the curving country highway, passing the few cars he met as if they were parked on the highway. She glanced at the speedometer and her eyes opened wide.

"What's wrong?" he asked when he looked at her.

"You are going 150 miles per hour! Are you trying to kill us?" she said angrily.

"I didn't realize," he said sheepishly, looking as if he had been caught doing something wrong. "I just thought we were in a hurry, and I didn't know how easy it was to take this car up to speed. I won't hurt you. I told you that. You won't find a better driver anywhere."

He continued to look at her, managing to keep to the road's curves easily, almost as if someone else were driving. She couldn't help yelling at him.

"Please look at the road, and please, for me, slow down a little!"

He let off the gas slightly, and she watched the needle go down to 100 mph. He looked a bit put out and said, "Better?"

"If that is the best you can do." Her knuckles were white on the seat. She clamped her jaw shut, and tried to relax, as it seemed that Emil was in complete control.

"We really do need to hurry," he said seriously.

Evan thought he seemed to know that what was going on with the boy was serious. She wondered if he had another reason for wanting to hurry. "I suppose you're right. How much did you hear and understand of what I said?"

"Everything." The way he said it made her believe that he did understand all he had heard.

"You have some medical knowledge, I take it," Evan said pointedly, wanting to see if he would tell just how much.

"You could say that. I have learned a little over time. Helps me in my work," he said dismissively.

"I still don't know what it is you do. I am fully intrigued now," she said, trying to win more information with a smile.

"I'll let you in on it later. It's a little complicated." He wouldn't look at her as he said this. She got the impression he wasn't planning to tell her.

Evan looked out the window, not wanting to upset him by asking more questions and was surprised to see the tall buildings of downtown St. Louis passing swiftly by.

"I don't want to even try to guess how many tickets you have!" She exclaimed, realizing the drive had only lasted ten minutes.

"None," he said with a shrug.

"Are the streets slick after all the snow?" she asked, as an afterthought. They looked icy.

"Not really. I have good traction in this car." Emil drove effortlessly as she watched another car sit and spin at a stoplight.

Evan felt a lump rise in her throat as he pulled up to the front entrance of the hospital. She barely heard what he said. She didn't understand how a place that had felt like home for so many years could suddenly feel like she was entering a House of Horrors. She barely registered Emil's question of where to park, but pointed to the lot nearest the entrance. She pulled the worn car I.D. tag from her purse. She had kept it there, just in case, after her old car had died. She tossed it onto the dash.

"There are going to be rumors flying now if anybody looks at this car and the tag in the window," she said, the laugh that came from her sounding a bit hysterical.

She sat in the car, thinking she ought to get out after Emil had closed his door. She was a little startled when he was instantly at her door, her hand barely on the door handle.