Chapter 3 - Part 1

Start from the beginning

His smile widened to show off his sexy dimples before he kissed me. I swear everything around us ceased to exist. My hands crept up his body to link around his neck. I opened my mouth, needing to taste him. There was no reasoning, just instinct that led me. His tongue caressed mine. I pressed myself up against him and his arms tightened around me. His every movement was in sync with my needs.

I don't know who pulled away first, but I was left standing and trying to catch my breath. Matthew, despite his confidence, didn't look unaffected by what had just taken place.

It made me feel good that he wanted me as much as I wanted him. This wasn't one-sided.

"It didn't take you long." Courtney broke our reflective mood. "Here," she said, shoving a drink into my hand.

"Thanks." I took a big gulp to bring me back to reality.

"And you are?" Courtney eyed Matthew.

"I'm Matthew. The new boyfriend."

"That was quick," my friend said, elbowing me in the ribs. "I'm Courtney, the best friend."

"It's nice to meet you, Courtney," Matthew said, giving her a smile that seemed to make her putty in his hands.

"He's not really the boyfriend," I said. "He's just helping me get rid of Ryan."

Courtney raised her eyebrow. "Where is that idiot?"

"Around." Matthew was already scanning the party, looking for him.

The crowd beside me got a little rowdy and someone bumped me. Matthew caught me before I fell.

He moved me to the other side of him. "You okay?

"Yeah." My drink had spilled over my hand so I wiped it on my jeans.

Matthew glared at the guy who had stumbled into me. "Watch it!"

The change was so sudden. The easygoing guy I had first met disappeared, and in his place was someone with an air of danger. It made him all the more irresistible. Girls didn't want boring good boys. No, we all wanted the ruthless bad boy who only we could tame. I shook myself mentally. I was starting to sound like a romance novel.

"Sorry...it was an accident," the guy said before he turned back to his group of friends.

Another guy joined our group. I didn't recognize him. He had darker hair than Matthew but they had the same color of green eyes. They could have passed for brothers.

"This is my friend Mark," Matthew said, introducing him to Courtney and me.

"Sarah," he said, inclining his head in my direction.

"Nice to meet you." Despite my frostiness toward Matthew, I greeted his friend with a genuine smile. It wasn't his fault his friend was an ass.

"Hi, Sarah." I studied Mark as Matthew introduced him to Courtney. There was no way to miss the interest my friend showed as she looked him up and down.

The two men were the same height and both were lean and muscular. But Mark didn't make me all warm and fuzzy inside with one look.

My mind was feeling chaotic with thoughts of what I wanted to do to him even though I was still annoyed he had been chatting up another girl. But it was more than that. This was the first guy who hadn't behaved like I expected guys to and it had taken me by surprise.

For the next half an hour, Courtney flirted shamelessly with Mark. It was hard to read whether he was interested or not. I had to admit that if I weren't pretending to be with Matthew, I probably would have tried my luck too. But the chemistry I shared with Matthew made it impossible to replace him with someone else. It was inconvenient, to say the least.

What didn't help was the fact he seemed to know how much I was attracted to him, which made him even more annoying. He was so sure of himself.

I had just finished my fourth drink. He was helping me out but I couldn't allow myself to obediently follow along. No. I was determined to get a bit drunk and become a handful. I didn't have a great threshold for alcohol, which would help my plan along.

"I need another one," I said, handing my empty cup to Matthew. He took it from me and then studied me. I was already feeling a little wobbly.

"You sure you're up for another one?" Matthew asked with his hand on my hip. He could feel I was already a little unsteady. Could he see the glazed-over eyes that would be a sure sign I had drunk enough?

I pouted. "Please."

I gave him that girly look that was hard for guys to say no to as I leaned closer, putting both my hands up against his chest as I gazed up at him.

"I'll get the next round of drinks," Mark offered. I turned to face him and put a hand on Matthew to steady my legs.

"You're not going to put anything that you shouldn't in it?" I asked, trying to gauge if I could trust him enough.

Taking drinks from strangers was a no-no, but technically I knew Mark. He was Matthew's friend. But I had only known Matthew for a week.

"No," he said, trying to suppress a smile. I surveyed him before I looked up at Matthew, my hand clutching his shirt.

"Can I trust him?"

"Yes."

And that was all I needed. There was something about Matthew that made me trust him.

"I'll go with," Courtney added. That was even better.