CHAPTER 28

We steadily strolled up the ramp towards the ship as if we were at the head of a royal procession. Many of the guests were sipping tea and sake, admiring the layout of the deck or peering casually up at the night sky. Meeting my hidden gaze through the hazy, transparent screen woven into the top of my hat, were a myriad pairs of eyes watching us or glancing with some scrutiny in our direction. Some were gathered in pleasant conversation, every now then, gesturing or pointing at the curious boy with the strange hat. I could only imagine how odd I must have seemed to them, but then I realized that there were other chienkuu ko walking about, huddled together with their own partners, as if tied to each other by some sort of invisible thread. Like us, they too were here to represent their houses. Along with the geisha, with their elegance and beauty, and the gentle notes of the fue and shamisen musicians, we were here for the sake of atmosphere, to create a tiny, exotic world; one which both entertained and captivated the guests.

The governor was standing on a make-shift stage at the very bow of the ship. He was laughing with a few of his closest guests when we approached. We all exchanged a few pleasant bows.

"Governor." Miss Nishio said. "It is an honor to meet you. And quite the extravagant birthday party you have. May it be a sign of more prosperous things to come."

The governor was quite tall, perhaps the tallest man I had ever met. But he was wiry and looked as though his body had been fashioned out of wooden planks. He wore a very modern-looking suit, complete with a black jacket over a white blouse and black tie. He even wore a cylindrical gentleman's top hat, which looked a bit awkward to me, because I had never seen such a thing atop anyone's head before. The clothes seemed to hang off his thin frame, like covering a pole with a potato sack.

He gave a broad, sincere smile, as if this was one of the few occasions he was fortunate enough to be allowed to enjoy himself.

"The pleasure is mine, Miss Nishio," the governor replied, taking her hand and lowering his head to kiss it. "No party is complete without the Nine-Tailed Lady."

Miss Nishio quickly pulled her hand away before it reach his lips. She smiled apologetically, making sure not to embarrass him in front of his guests.

"As polite and formal as you are governor, I'm afraid I prefer not use that name anymore."

"Of course, of course. If you would forgive me, perhaps I was being a bit too careless with my words. But I'm sure you can understand that this is a party, and I think we all can afford to be a little frivolous."

Both he and what seemed to be his friends, chuckled. Miss Nishio continued to smile, but she was acutely careful not to look at him directly for too long.

"So, it seems the most ambitious lady in all of Rui Nan has taken in another form of business."

He sipped from his wine glass, motioning some of his friends towards Kassahimei and I. The both of us were like statues, careful not to fidget. I imagine I would have been much more nervous, had it not been for Ren Tzu, who remained close beside us, like a silent, imposing sentinel.

At first they did not know what to make of us. Then after a moment of quiet thought, one of the women spoke bodly.

"Are they your children? Because if they are, they do seem a bit over-dressed."

The governor's shrill laugh was loud enough to be heard all over the ship. He bent over with stark amusement, dropping his wine glass, then wiped the tears from his eyes.

"It's true," he said, still laughing. "They are a bit over-dressed, but that's beside the point. Please excuse her Miss Nishio. She's a foreigner from the western coast of Kin Ju and this is her first visit to our country. She still has much to learn about our culture."