CHAPTER 46

There are many stories in the Eastern Kingdom about Queen Xiangfeng, the Warrior Queen; some so incredible, that they must have been born of fantasy and exaggeration. The ones which most people believe to be true honored her grand military conquests and fierce leadership. She was certainly a woman both feared and deeply respected. While many royal women at the time learned the ways of courting, polite conversation and politics she demanded an education in battlefield strategy, uniform wear and warrior codes and ethics. Her unique upbringing alone had made her a legend in her own country. Everyone knew, whether true or not, that she lived as a grand, untamable woman. As a young girl however, I was one of the few who knew her during her most mysterious and undocumented period of her life. 

A month before, as our ship sailed from the Eastern Kingdom palace, Princess Xiangfeng emerged from the depths of the fog like a ghost, gliding across the mist-strewn deck towards the boy she'd been arranged to marry. Though I'd been tasked with keeping the ship hidden, my curiosity diverted my attention as I watched the both of them from my place at the bow. 

She'd been among the Eastern Kingdom officials that had been recently brought aboard, saved from Rui Nan's sudden and unmerciful invasion. However, she did not come to the child emperor to express her gratitude, but rather to present her demands. 

"Turn this ship around," she commanded. "We must go back for the rest of my family."

An Wei, Xiangfeng's mother appeared beside her daughter and said politely, "we are most grateful for what you have done for us, but please, we cannot leave just yet."

Before the child emperor could respond, a stout reply sounded from the mist. "I am sorry, but we must continue on. Returning now would most assuredly doom us all." 

It was Dae Jung, whose shadowy figure materialized next to Xiangfeng's mother. 

Immediately, she fell into his shoulders, sobbing as she begged for his mercy.

"My husband, my other daughter," she said. "They're still waiting just outside the palace. I can show you where they are. It wouldn't take long. Please."

He held her for a brief moment. Then, as if discarding his empathy, pushed her away before turning to one of the deck hands.

"Inform the captain." He said. "We must sail as fast as the engines will allow. We can't afford to slow down for the sake of caution. If we must, we will plow through any of General Fung's air ships we encounter." 

The deck hand nodded and proceeded to the bridge. An Wei looked on, shocked, as if she had just been sentenced to death.

"Traitor!" Xiangfeng cried out. 

She was just a young girl, but little did we know, she had been raised like that of a son to her father, a respected general in the Eastern Kingdom's Royal Army. As such, she had been groomed to someday become a leader of warriors, a fighter and a soldier. And with great surprise, I was witness to the incredible spirit of her actions that day.

She pulled a sword from the sheath of one of the nearby guards and, like an arrow released from its bow, leapt for Dae Jung. The guard captain reacted, bounding quickly into her path and deflecting her blade with his own. She lunged forward again, challenging the guard captain's swordsmanship in a wild and terrible duel. Though her emotions enflamed her every move, each swing, each stab and swipe was practiced and well-disciplined. The captain seemed confused as he tried to come to grips with the uncanny age and gender of his opponent. He was hesitant, unwilling to believe his eyes as he restrained himself from striking back at her. The fight continued. Sword struck against sword, metal against metal, until finally, the divine son of the Imperial Family gave pause to the both of them.