Chapter One

This is completely re-written than what I had previously had up. I wanted a little bit of background for Emma's life before tragedy strikes. The next chapter will be set almost a year after the accident.

Cheers!

xxx

She felt agitated. Emma Knight normally had no issue with doing what her parents requested – unless she had something pressing going on – but the habit of them springing a 'request' on her without a warning made the young woman feel increasingly irritable at being told that she had to take her siblings to school before she headed to the University.

Her mood dropped low into the proverbial sour bowl when she glanced at her watch.

They had to leave within the next ten minutes or else all three of them were going to be late. That was something that the eighteen-year-old did not want to deal with. Yep. As much as she loved her parents, it would've been nice to be told beforehand that this was something that would be happening.

Especially considering that she had two exams for both Anatomy and Physiology and Medical Terminology before lunch that day that she had to do – and one of them was in forty-five minutes.

She sighed again, getting impatient as she glanced down at her watch one more time and began muttering under her breath as she began trudging up the stairs, the wood creaking under her weight while she went up.

But she paid it no mind.

"Olivia!" Emma called, "Aiden!"

No answer.

Emma grumbled, quickly making her way through the small, narrow hallway down to the end and started banging on the door. A muffled – and annoyed – voice filtered through. Emma's bright blue eyes narrowed. She took the doorknob, twisted it, and swung the damn thing open.

"Are you serious right now?"

Her ten-year-old brother craned his neck upwards as he looked up at her from his position on the floor, still in his pajamas, playing with his Yu-Gi-Oh! Cards. "What?"

"Aiden! Why aren't you dressed yet?"

"I don't want to go to school."

"And I don't want to go to college, but here we are, come on. I have to go to school too." She went over to him, fighting back the urge to sigh as she held out her hand. Reluctantly the boy handed the binder and the stack of cards he was looking at in his hands to her. He pushed himself up off the floor, and for the first time in forever, went over to his closet to get dressed for the day without any issues.

"Thank you." She turned to leave, "Now to make sure our sister is up and ready to go."

She didn't care enough to hear what Aiden had to say as she closed the door behind her and went back towards the stairs, stopping to the last door on the right, located right before the stairs and knocked on that.

"Olivia?"

Olivia opened the door.

"What happened to your hair?"

This wasn't happening.

"I wanted to have my hair the same as yours, sis."

Emma had an inverted bob that just reached the top of her shoulders. Her light brown hair that day was straightened instead of the normal curly mess that it usually was.

Olivia's hair, poor girl, had chopped off her hair in such a way that it looked jagged, but thankfully, and with a bit of effort, Emma could pull it up into a ponytail with her bangs being pulled back with more than a dozen bobby-pins holding it in place.