Chapter Seven

(Dominic's P.O.V)

         I get out in the hallway where I can actually breath, 'What just happened,' I thought to myself.' Am I hallucinating now? Alexis couldn't have been in the same class, she has a different schedual.' Saundering down the halls, I realize it's abnormally quiet. People are giving me strange, questioning glances and some are crying. I passed Jessica's locker and I see a tribute to her posted all around it. 'That's strange' I say to myself. All of a sudden something or someone runs into me, knocking the wind out of me. I quickly turn to see Alexis literally sprinting down the hall towards the exit. 'What in the world is going on!?'

        "ALEXIS!" I scream sprinting after her, dropping all of my books in the middle of the hall.

       I chased after her out the door and finally caught up with her just on the other side of the road, on the opposite side of the school yard. "Alexis?" I turn her to face me and I see tears streaked her face.

       "LET GO!" She protested but I didn't budge. I've only known this girl for like an hour and something bad's happened that I have no idea what it is. "Just let me go. I have to get out of here. Everything is going wrong! Everything!" She rips my hand from her arm and starts running.

      "Alexis! Slow down and take a breather! What happened in there!?" I catch up to her and stop her dead in her tracks. She doesn't face me but speaks.

     " I don't know! I was watching this girl draw a boy and I went to comment on it when she looked at me and started shreaking. So, like, as if she could read my mind she shut up, but then she fell to the floor unconcious! Who does that sort of thing!? I don't understand!" Throwing her fists towards the ground, she turns to face me. Her eyes were bloodshot and as green as a cat's. The way she's standing right now makes her look like an angry little kid, not getting what she wanted. Her lip was puckered outwards and hung her head low.

       " It couldn't have been your fault. I mean I don't know you well but I can tell you this: you are too sweet of a person to harm anyone." I take a step towards her and she takes one step back, "Come here, you look like you need a hug." I hold out my arms and welcome her to a hug, but she shakes her head. "C'mon don't be stubborn now." I smile, and motion her into my arms, but she turns and starts walking.

       " I have to go. I need some information on my family history."I give her a puzzled look.

       " Why would you need a boost on your family history?" I walk up so close we are only two inches apart. She looks up at me with blood-shot eyes, searching for an explanation.

      "I just want to know why my eyes shift color, OK?" She shakes her head and smooths the grass under her shoe.

      " That makes two of us. Mind if I come with?" Her gaze finds its way back to mine and she shrugs.

      " I don't really care.It's just that.... I don't know if he will like me to bring a boy home when I'm dating Jared and that could cause major issues..." She looks down and to the left. Shifting her weight to her left side, she gently folds her hands one on the other.

       " Who's Jared.?" Placing my hands on her shoulders I realize the wind's picked up and is blowing her hair swiftly. Her eyes flash green and back again before she looks at me.

      " My boyfriend. But honestly, I completely forgot about him... I mean, today has been so crazy that I just don't really care for him. I mean, we've only been together for a couple months and he never tries to talk to me. He never makes time for me and when he wants to talk, it's only when he wants to hang out, he wants inside my pants. I don't work that way.." Her head dips and she takes a step back.

     "You deserve better than him." Stepping forward, I gently take my finger and place it under her chin, pulling her head back up. " I've learned that the hard way. No man should treat a pretty, well-mannered, strong, independant woman like yourself. Live past him."

      Her eyes swell up with tears again," I can't leave him. I don't have the guts." The tears streak down her face and I gently wipe them away. Taking her into an embracing hug, she cries silently into my shirt. I coo her into silence and I rest my chin on the top of her head. She was so small, she practically was like my own child. Her muffled cries reminded me of a heartbroken kid coming home from the circus. Her words are muffled into my chest and I let go, she wipes her puffy red eyes with her sleve, and she sniffles, " You're a good friend, Dom... I think I can do it, it'll just be painfull." Her phone buzzes and she pulls it out of her pocket. "Here, you read it. I can't stand to talk to him after realizing the monster I was with." She hands me her iPhone.

              'Hey babe, just thought I'd see how skool was goin. Me n the guys r hangin out aftr skool. Wana join?' I click reply and I start typing.

             ' You should learn how to tlk to gurls b4 you get into a serious relationship. This is her frend Dominic. If U want to tlk to her, learn how 2 respect a gurl.' I hit "send" and her phone buzzes, letting me know it sent successfully. I smile in haste.

           She looks at me confused. I shake my head and then the phone buzzes. I move the phone to where I can see it, ' WTF? who is this? her new bf? I cnt believe that she wud cheat. this is so typical.' Rolling my eyes I hit "reply".

          'no, im just a frend. she hasnt had the best day and ive ben there 4 her. she told me wut kind of a guy u r. u need to learn how 2 treat women. they rnt ur play toys. theyre actual ppl. she wants no part of u. she is sitting here crying bcuz of u.' I hit "send" and I hug her. "Do you want me to end it for you or would you like to call him and end it?"

         " No I want you to do it. I've cried enough. Plus, I don't even know what you guys are talking about and I don't want to. Just do it quickly so we can move on with our lives." Just as she finished talking I felt a buzzing. I turn away from her and read the screen.

       'Ik how to treat women. if i didnt i dnt think i wud hav Lexi now wud i.?' I shake my head and reply a short message.

       'you dnt anymore. its ovr.' Once hitting "send" I hand her phone back to her and she smiles through her tears at me. I open my arms and she stiffles a sigh, sobbing into my shirt. Through muffled words and sniffles I her a,' thank you so much," come from her. I rub the back of her head gently. She pulls away and wipes her face of her neck shirt. Both of us start turning in circles trying to figure out what sound we were hearing.

       'car engine. OMgawsh, It's Jared.' I tug on Lexi's arm and point in a black Camero's direction. We both start running, but then I fall in pain. Then there was pressure on my chest and a gun near my right eye.

        "I'm Jared. You must be Dominic." 

                                                           Then everything went black......