Chapter 11 - Chances - PART TWO

.

                                     Chapter 11 – Chances PART TWO

  .

The moment went by so fast I almost didn't catch it. It whirled in front of my eyes as Darius launched himself at Malachy.

If it happened so fast for me to see I could only imagine how Malachy would dodge that. But by then Darius's fist didn't connect with any part of him anyway, because as soon as he tried, he was forcefully tugged backwards by a strong-handed Jackson.

Darius's shirt stretched over his torso as Jackson grabbed the back of it, the dark fabric now riding upwards to expose an unsurprisingly taut set of abs I hadn't seen in hell knows how long.

"What the fuck?" Malachy's brows drew together creasing angrily, his jaw tensed as he stepped towards him, but Reggie rushed to grab his arm with Malachy yanking it free again with growing aggression.

Darius's verbal tirade was clearly pushing Malachy to his limits, and when Darius started insulting him, Malachy looked so pissed that Reggie took caution and grabbed him before he could do anything. Malachy's back now against Reggie's chest as Reggie's arm restrained him by hooking around his neck. 'It's alright, it's alright, bruv. Leave this clown!' he said.

I couldn't help but notice how easy it was to see the allegiances between them all. Darius may have known Reggie on some sort of mutual level, but it was obvious Reggie had Malachy's back while Jackson had Darius'.

"Hold him back, Reggie!" strained Jackson against a very hostile Darius.

"Why don't you put a muzzle on your rabid dog of a mate instead?" He threw back. "That's your boy right there. You seen the shit flying out his mouth? No disrespect Darius but fu*king hell, starting trouble in my yard? What's this all about anyway?"

"C'mon, Reg! I need all the help I can get!" said Jackson.

"What? You think this shit is easy? You seen this dude?" he said struggling. "Macky, calm the hell down! He's not worth it!"

"I know he isn't, I'm still pissed though!"

"He's a wasteman. Leave him!" 

"I'm not gonna do anything unless he starts something. What d'you take me for?"

"He already did!" said Reggie. "So I'm assuming you're gonna do something!"

Darius gritted his teeth, "This pretty boy, huh?" He yelled my way, then with vicious bile said to Malachy, "You son of a—!"

"What the fu*k you just call me?" Malachy effectively pulled himself free from Reggie's grasp and was literally right in front of Darius now.

"Oh c'mon, Malachy, back up!" Jackson said. "For his own good I'm trying to keep him the hell away from you! I know you can take him, but don't. He'll wise up in the morning."

But Darius wouldn't stop. "What's your objection? 'Pretty boy' or 'son of a bitch'?"

"Ah, well since you think I'm a pretty boy I can see why you're tryna punch me now."

"Malachy, please! He's drunk and doesn't know what the hell he's saying." I pleaded. "He's not worth it!"

Malachy's face was strained with anger, his chest heaving with the effort it was taking to control that anger. I could hardly breathe for the look Malachy gave me. He then allowed himself to fall silent and dropped his gaze from mine and then in a show of submission, as if abandoning the fight, he put his hands up and stepped back, effectively reigning himself in.