85

A/N: this chapter is dedicated to longbottomology for adopting Viola and for just being such a wonderful reader <3

__________________________

"Miss Lestrange and Miss Proctor you will be partners," squeaked Professor Flitwick in Charms class one afternoon.

Viola inwardly groaned as Wish looked around at her. Of all the people in the class Viola had to be paired up with the annoying, giggly Wish Proctor?

Well, at least it isn't Ginny, Viola thought, casting a look at the red head whom Ava had just been paired with.

Wish glanced around at Viola, bid Pamela goodbye, and came to sit in the seat Ava had occupied seconds previously.

"Hello, Viola," said Wish as she sat down, unsmiling.

"Hello," Viola grumbled.

As Flitwick gave out the instructions for their project, Viola resigned herself to the fact that she was not going to enjoy this class.

However, as they began to do the work, Viola noticed their was something distinctly off about Wish.

She wasn't giggling. She wasn't smiling. She wasn't gossiping with Pamela. She wasn't talking or being loud. She wasn't doing anything at all that defined Wish as a person to Viola.

Viola became so unnerved by Wish's lack of enthusiasm that she finally had to say something.

"Are you okay?"

Wish looked around at Viola with a pitiful expression.

"Haven't you heard?" asked Wish.

Panic fluttered in Viola's chest for a second.

"Heard what?" Viola asked.

"Harry Potter's going to the Yule Ball with Parvati Patil," said Wish mournfully.

Viola's first instinct would've been to laugh, if her stomach hadn't fell with a sickening feeling.

Although she wouldn't admit it (especially to Hugo who hadn't stopped teasing her about Harry since the Yule Ball was announced) Viola had really hoped Harry might invite her to the ball.

"Oh," was all Viola could say to Wish.

The two girls continued their project in complete silence.

Viola arrived to lunch feeling pretty down. Her and Ava had walked together. Although Ava kept sending her silent friend sidelong glanced, Viola hadn't explained herself.

The two Slytherins headed for the Hufflepuff table where Hugo was sitting with Clemi.

"Oy, Viola!" Hugo cried excitedly, waving his arms in the air. "Guess who's eating lunch at the same time as us?"

"Who?" asked Viola gloomily as she took a seat at the Hufflepuff table.

"You're one and only Harry Potter!" cried Hugo, gesturing towards the Gryffindor table.

Viola stared at Hugo.

"When is he gonna ask you to the ball?" Hugo demanded.

"Never," said Viola. She moodily plopped a spoonful of potatoes onto her plate. "He's going with someone else."

Hugo's face fell as if he were the one who'd wanted to go to the dance with Harry.