Chapter One

I was always a bold child. I wore my clothes like I dressed in the dark in preschool, and in kindergarten i even dyed my hair (by myself I might add) and it just got bolder the older I got. My parents were always supportive of my choices and would always stick up for me when needed.

Each birthday party was different and the themes changed yearly. I remember my seventh was metal themed and I wore leather for the whole thing. That year I got a super cool skateboard, sense that's what was most interesting to me that year. Surprisingly, I've liked skateboarding and never really grown out of it, and now I go out with the rest of my gang and we skateboard at all the cool hang outs.

Anyway, my tenth birthday was the best one ever.

I've heard the stories; at age ten, all children get a companion pet that will grow with them, but the catch is that the animal is based on how you act as a child. My parent's were a little nervous, knowing that I was a very bold child and that my animal could be very....interesting. My mom has a cat, while my dad has a dog. Boring, right? All day I couldn't wait to see what my animal would be. At around lunch time, the doorbell rang and I jump up and bound for the door. I immediately open it and see a small box. My dad comes over to help me drag in the box. He sets it in the living room where I had opened my other presents earlier. He goes into the kitchen and comes back a second later with an exacto knife and my mother trailing behind. He hands me the knife and then goes and sits on the loveseat with my mom. I excitedly open the box and start to wonder what it could be. The second I get the tape off, I open the flaps and stare in wonder at my new friend.

It was a dragon.

I. Have. A. Dragon.

I look back at parents to see horror on their faces. I whip back around and giddily take out my new friend and he looks at me with these big eyes, interestingly having a blue and a green one. His tale is green tipped and he has black scales with blue tips, his wings being the same color as the scales. I. Love. Him. I name him Onyx.

I start squealing with joy and I wrap my arms around my new buddy. He sits there for a second before i feel him cuddle into me. My parents are still in their seats afraid to move. I decide that if they aren't going to come and see Onyx, I'll have to bring him to them. I pick him and walk over and my parents are sitting stalk still. I lean over and set him in between them. The look on their face was PRICELESS! Onyx went back to being still and his green eye turned black. I take this as meaning he doesn't like anyone besides me. Oh well. I take him back and continue to cuddle, until I hear my gang calling my name from outside the window.

"What?" I say, somewhat upset that they're here already.

"Dude, what's your pet?" I hear Indigo shout back.

"GUYS I GOT A DRAGON!" I screech back out.

"SWEET! Bring him with us to the skatepark." They all reply.

I end up bringing Onyx with me and he had a blast at the skatepark and everyone loved him and he eventually warmed up to everyone.

To this day, seven years later, Onyx is still my buddy. He's helped me through all my breakups and even makes me smile during them by torching the ex with his fire breath. Ah, those are the memories.