Chapter Fifteen: Exam Week

Their exam week had finally started, and Hope found herself spending almost all her free time studying. They had one exam a day where they would do a written exam in the morning and a practical exam in the afternoon. It was always uncomfortably hot in the exam room, which didn't help at all with her nerves. 

 During their practical Charms exam Professor Flitwick had brought them into the classroom, one by one so that they could make a Pineapple tap dance along the desk. Professor McGonagall had them transform a mouse into a snuffbox for Transfiguration. Their Potions practical was the worst, Snape was breathing down their necks as they sat in the dungeons trying to brew a forgetfulness potion from memory. 

Hope was finding it very difficult to study for her exams, as the Stone continued to enter her mind. She regularly checked the third floor corridor to see if Fluffy was still there. 

Their final exam was History of Magic, it was Hopes least favorite topic by far. The exam was one hour long, and after that they would have a whole week of relaxation before the test results came back. Finally Professor Binns told them to put down their quills and bring their parchments up to his desk. 

"That was far easier that I thought it would be", Hermione said, as they walked out into the sunny grounds, "I needn't have learned about the 1637 werewolf code of conduct or the uprising of Elfric the Eager." 

"Did you get Snotlout the Smelly for question twenty four?", Hope asked, "I wasn't sure." 

They flopped down under a tree by the lake. The Weasley twins and Lee Jordan were tickling the tentacles of a giant squid, which was basking in the shallow part of the lake. 

"No more studying", sighed Ron, lying down on the grass, "you could look more cheerful, Harry, we've got a week before we find out how badly we've done, there's no need to worry yet. 

"I wish I know what this mean!", Harry said angrily, rubbing his forehead, "my scar keeps hurting - it's happened before, but never as often as this."

"Harry relax", Hope soothed, "Snapes not going to try anything, as long as Dumbledore's around. Anyway, we've never had any real proof Snape knows how to get past Fluffy." 

"Your probably just over paranoid from the exams", Hermione said, "I woke up last night and was halfway through my Transfiguration notes before I remembered we'd done that one." 

Harry didn't look convinced but he didn't say anything else on the subject. Hope spread out on the grass enjoying the nice sunny day. Hermione continued to talk about their exam with Hope. Suddenly Harry jumped to his feet looking worried. 

"I've just thought of something", Harry went very pale, "we've got to go see Hagrid." 

"Why?", Hermione asked. They all got to their feet and hurried down the slope towards Hagrid's hut, Harry in the lead. 

"Don't you think it's a bit odd", Harry said, "that what Hagrid wants more than anything else is a dragon, and a stranger turns up who just happened to have an egg in his pocket? How many people wander around with dragon eggs if it's against wizard law? Lucky they found Hagrid, don't you think?" 

Hope couldn't believe she hadn't realized that before. Why hadn't they been worried about whoever had given Hagrid a dragon egg? Hagrid was sitting outside his hut in an armchair. 

"Hullo", he greeted, smiling at them, "finished yer exams? Got time fer a drink?" 

"Yes please-" 

"No, "Harry cut Ron off, "we're in a hurry, Hagrid, I've got to ask you something. You know that night you won Norbert? What did the stranger look like?"