Chapter Six: The Forbidden Door

"Your joking", it was now dinner time and Harry Potter had returned to the Gryffindor table with a huge smile plastered on his face. Deciding that this definitely wasn't a smile from being expelled, Hope and Hermione had decided to eavesdrop on their conversation. 

Harry Potter was now a part of Gryffindor's quidditch team, playing the position of Seeker. Hermione didn't seem at all impressed that Harry had been given a place on the quidditch team instead of punished for breaking the rules. 

"I know that Malfoy did it too", she said, "but I don't think rewarding him is going to teach him not to break the rules." 

"He's really good though", Hope replied, "did you see the way he was flying yesterday? I think he's really going to help Gryffindors chances at winning the Quidditch cup." 

Hermione opened her mouth the reply but Hope shushed her. She'd just spotted Malfoy making his way over to Harry and Ron. 

"Having a last meal, Potter?", Malfoy taunted, "When are you getting the train back to the Muggles?" 

"You're a lot braver now that you're back on the ground and you've got your little friends with you", Harry replied coolly. 

Hope did think this was a rather brave thing to say, as there was really nothing little about Crabbe and Goyle at all. Malfoy glanced over towards Hope and Hermione, who quickly pretended to be eating and not listening. He leaned in closer to Harry slightly but Hope could still hear him. 

"I'd take you on anytime on my own", Malfoy whispered, "tonight, if you want. Wizard's duel. Wands only - no contact. What's the matter? Never heard of a wizards duel I suppose?" 

"Of course he has", Ron told him, "i'm his second, who's yours?" 

"Crabbe", Malfoy hissed back, "midnight, In the trophy room; that's always unlocked." 

Malfoy and his goons stalked off and Hermione turned to Hope looking absolutely outraged. 

"They can't seriously be talking about sneaking out at night", she whispered, "if they get caught they'll get in such trouble! And they'll lose heaps of house points." 

Hope silently agreed, but she'd just taken a mouthful of chicken and therefore, couldn't reply. 

"I'm going to go talk to them", Hermione decided. 

"No!", Hope tried to say, but she began to choke on the chicken in her mouth and by the time she'd drunk water and contained herself Hermione had already walked towards the two boys. 

"Excuse me"

Both boys looked up and neither looked pleased to see Hermione standing there. 

"I couldn't help overhearing what you and Malfoy were saying -" 

"Bet you could", Ron muttered. Hope felt a wave of anger. There was no reason for Ron to be so nasty to Hermione all of the time. 

"And" Hermione continued, pretending she hadn't heard Ron's comment, "you mustn't go wandering around the school at night, think of the points you loose Gryffindor if your caught, and your bound to be. It's really very selfish of you." 

"And it's really none of your business", Harry told her. 

"Goodbye", Ron said. 

Hermione glared at them both once more before stalking back over to Hope. 

"Their going to lose us so many points!", She grumbled. Hope agreed,  the boys really were being unnecessarily rude to Hermione and selfish. 

"We should stop them", she told Hermione, "let's catch them trying to sneak out tonight and stop them going."