"You always bother me."

"Ouch, shot through the heart." He said dramatically while leaning back into his chair as if her had been shot. This time Beckett was able to suppress her laugh and suffice for a little giggle.

"Come on, sit up and help me with this paperwork."

"When are we going to get a case? I need a case-" Castle began, but was soon interrupted by Beckett's desk phone. He watched her carefully as she picked it up and answered. She was in cop mode now, listening intently, picking up her pen and writing down an address. Once she hung up she look to Castle with a grin on her face.

"We got a case Castle. You got your wish." She said with a friendly undertone in her voice. She felt her insides grow warm and fill with butterflies when she saw his childlike reaction. He jumped up, grabbing Kate's jacket off the back of her chair and preparing to put in behind her so she good slip her thin arms through. Kate happily obliged. Castle was such a gentleman. He's always so sweet to her and very empathetic. As soon as her coat was on she bumped his shoulder with her own and tilted her head down to hide her smile. But Castle knew. He knew that he was breaking down her walls.

When they reached the crime scene and worked their way through the crowd that had gathered onto the other side of yellow tape Kate's phone began to ring. Castle watched her as she took it out, looked at the name, and then decline the call. He wondered who it was, but he knew better than to distract her from the current crime in front of them.

They were met with the cheerful voice of Lanie as they approached the body.

"Hello you two," She greeted. Kate nodded and Castle waved, "We have a 32 year old male named Mark Daniels, COD blunt force trauma to the head, TOD between 2-4 in the morning, but once I get him to the morgue I'll have more for you."

"Thanks Lanie." Beckett smiled over at the woman who she had become very close friends with, close enough to call her her best friend. Beckett and Castle then walked over to the victim's car where Ryan and Esposito were.

"Was the killer in the car with Mark?" Was Beckett's first question.

"That's what we think," Ryan began, "We think that the vic had gotten into his car and began driving home when our perp sat up from behind the seat and threatened Mark in some way."

"So we put together that eventually the vic had the courage to hop out of the car and run but was put down by something our suspect had or found." Esposito finished.

"Have we found the murder weapon yet?" Beckett asked looking beside her to the bricks and broken metal sprawled out in the alley.

"Negative, but we ave CSU searching dumpsters within a 2 mile radius-" Ryan began but was cut off my Beckett

"Make it 4. And I want you two to canvas the scene and talk with any possible witnesses and talk with the neighboring houses to see if they heard anything."

"Got it." Ryan replied with Espo replying with an "As you wish." The boys then began to do their respective tasks and Castle and Beckett would take over the canvassing of the car. She was about to lean in when her phone rang again. Beckett quickly took it from her pocket and declined it, she barely even looked at the screen, because she knew who it would be, and she was working. Which he should be doing as well.

"Who was that?" Castle finally asked, unable to contain his curiosity.

"No one." She replied short and blunt putting her phone back in her pocket, then climbing into the car to continue her search.

///

When they reached the precinct and headed out the elevator headed for the bullpen Beckett and Castle both saw someone sitting in his chair. Castle looked over at Kate as she audibly huffed. She marched over to her desk and Castle saw Demming rise from his seat. He slowly walked over hearing their conversation while trying his best to remain discreet.