"I'm sorry I failed at exterminating the Corrupted, and let Jack get injured. I fucked up, and I'm so sorry...," Ben apologized, his expression sincere.

I shook my head and replied, "Don't apologize; it wasn't your fault. You did what you had to do, and I'm just happy you and Jack came back safe and sound..."

"Okay...," he murmured, but I could tell he still felt horrible about his performance, maybe even berated himself.

Holding onto the sleeve of his shirt, I shuffled to the door and peered in. Ms. P was helping Masky and Hoodie clean up Jack's bullet wound, leaving the sleeve of magic untouched. I stared at the luminescent sleeve, suddenly feeling a weight of guilt on my shoulders. My magic had done that. His bullet wound wouldn't have been serious--Ben mentioned--but now he's unconscious because of that explosion filled with my magic. I couldn't help but worry that I made his condition worse. A long time ago, Jeff had once told a story of being in a coma. What if I put Jack in a coma? Is he going to wake up as quick as Jeff had? What am I going to do?? No, what if that sleeve of magic is slowly killing him? What am I going to do??? I can't lose him, too.

Eventually, Ms. P came out of the room to let me know that she and Masky and Hoodie have stopped the bleeding and removed the bullet. I was relieved and wanted to see Jack, but she advised that I rest first since I still looked half-asleep and frazzled. After feebly arguing with her, I followed her commands and retreated to Jack's bedroom upstairs (despite the longer trek, I'd rather be in there). Later, Ms. P came up with hot tea to soothe me. It had helped, but not as much as I would have liked. After a while, I read a few books in the bedroom until I fell asleep on the bed. I was supposed to calm down, but my dream hadn't been very calming.

...

Ao? Ao?

It was Sam's voice, and I followed it.

Ao?

My feet took me whenever his voice echoed from. There was nothing but gray, barren landscape surrounding me. There was nowhere for his voice to resonate from, yet I didn't seem to care very much. Because it was Sam.

Ao?

I'm here. I don't know where, but I'm here.

Ao.

Tell me where you are so I can find you. I want to find you. I need to find you.

Ao.

Come back to me.

Ao...

Come back so I can hug you like I did in our last moments together. Come back so I can say I love you again.

Ao...wh...st...

His voice was becoming garbled.

Ao...d...st...

What are you saying? Why can't I understand you?

Ao...no...st...d...get...awa...

I need to find you so I can hear what you're saying.

Ao...

Finally, after all of my walking, I came to a point where I could hear Sam's voice clear enough to make out his words.

Ao, wait. Don't come any closer. Stop. Get away.

What?

GET AWAY.

Before I could retreat to wherever I had come from, something wrapped around my leg and yanked me off of my footing. Suddenly, I was lying in a viscous pool of black substance. It bubbled and puffed up over my limbs, weighing me down, sinking me. I struggled to get out and free myself, but everywhere I looked I only saw the black liquid. I was drowning in a vast sea of it.