"Leafage on the froakie." I commanded.

"Ember on rattata." Jay followed behind with her own order.

Hoodini shot out sharp leaves from his wings, hitting Froakie, before crashing to the ground as he was hit by the quick attack and sent rolling into Litten as he used ember. My pokémon gave a cry of pain from the flames, though I don't think he liked being swatted away in an undignified manner either. "Come on, you can shake that off Hoodini. Leafage again on Froakie."

"Scratch." Jay motioned towards Rattata again. "Don't let it get away."

"Uh..." The other trainer hesitated, causing his Froakie to get distracted as it looked back awaiting an order and take a critical hit from Hoodini's attack. "Froakie, no! Um, Rattata quick attack again?"

The poor rat like pokémon tried to respond but Litten was already on top of it, his claws pinning the rattata to the ground. Jay gave a faint smirk beside me. "Now use ember."

"Lit!" Litten jumped back out of the way before sending a short burst of fire at the rattata, quickly knocking it out.

Litten gave a content purring sound before grooming its whiskers and eyeing Hoodini with interest... Well, hunger was probably the better word. I returned Hoodini to his pokéball before walking closer as the kid returned his own pokémon. "That was a good try, um, just work on not hesitating next time alright? You'll need to think on your feet if you want to win."

He nodded. "Alright, thanks for the battle..."

The trainer started on his way again to the Pokémon Center and I turned back to see Jay scratching Litten's ear. Whatever life had come back during the battle was disappearing and I mentally sighed. I should've known it wouldn't be that easy, even if she seemed to be improving. I moved closer and offered my hand to help her stand but Jay ignored it and rose to her feet, not bothering to return Litten to his ball as she carried him, petting his fur absentmindedly. I followed her again, positive Litten was giving me a smug look with those large yellow eyes. Stupid cat. All it wanted to do was eat Hoodini or hog all the attention.

"Jay-"

"I swear, if you ask if I'm fine or something like that I will punch you." She glanced back at me, her eyes dead once more and her voice full of ice and blood chilling fury. "I know you're concerned but I don't need that... I need to get revenge."

I sighed and nodded. "Alright, I'm coming with you though. I'll follow you forever if I have to, but I won't leave you to get revenge on your own."

"Because you love me." Jay stated.

My chest tightened slightly. She hadn't brought that up after I had said it back in the ruined barn and I had thought she hadn't heard me or at least not that part. Was she going to reject me for that? Did she even know I meant it as more than a friend? I saw her glance back at me, waiting for an answer despite the lack of a question. "Y-yes... Yes, because I love you, Jay. I want to be there to protect you for as long as I can."

She continued staring at me. I couldn't tell what she was even thinking as she came to a stop on the path and turned around completely to look at me- to stare into my soul. I didn't dare move closer in case she was actually mad and lashed out, or have Litten attack me, but I didn't look away either. If I looked away she wouldn't believe what I said, she would just think it was something I was saying to ease her temperament or something probably.

Jay finally spoke up, moving closer as she did so. "Soren... I know you'll protect me. I've travelled with you long enough to know you'd do anything to help out your friends, no matter the cost you'd have to take. You can follow me anywhere you'd like but once I find out who ordered the attack on my family... I take them out alone. I will make them suffer for what they did and I don't want to accidently get you in the crossfire anymore than you or the others already are... I love you too much for that to happen..."

The last part was mumbled under her breath as if she didn't want me to hear her and she quickly turned and started walking away again. I blinked and hurried after her, wondering if I had heard her right or if I was just wishing to hear it. To cover up for my uncertainty and in hopes I could bring the old Jay out; I smirked and nudged her shoulder before putting my arm around it. "I see... and what was that last part?"

Jay's pale features went paler, slight pink coming to her face as she realized I had caught her words, before disappearing. She scoffed. "I said I wouldn't want that to happen."

"Really?" I continued looking at her, Curse and Litten looking at us amused as they watched.

"I said I loved you alright?" Jay looked away again, uncertainty flickering through her eyes. "L-like a... um... family member or s-something?"

I paused, deflated, by her response. Was that really what she thought of me as? I continued trying to think it over. If she wanted to be friends then... I could do that... though I would always love her more than a friend. "Wait... didn't she say family member? Retard, what member of the family? A brother? Cousin? I hope not... I'd like to be her husband in this family scenario."

"I see." I left the words hanging it the cold air before speaking again. "So what member of the family am I like to you?"

"Forget I said that. It wasn't right- a bad comparison." Jay shifted uncomfortably. "I meant you were like family because of how close we have gotten. Not that I love you in the way I would a relative."

I didn't push her any further despite the hope and need to know exactly what that meant building inside me- not to mention the confusion. She didn't want to talk about this, especially not now that she'd involved family. I regretted pushing her as far as I already had... I guess I'd find out later. We walked in silence, the snow falling harder the longer we walked. Savage Pass was properly named; the snow was freezing even more than Howling Pass's wind had been. We walked through it though, huddled against each other as we went but always silent after the end of our last conversation.

The sun went down and Jay slumped against a rock as the clouds covered any remains of a sunset. "We'll get to Valo by tomorrow, before noon if we get up early."

I watched her put down her digital map and pick up Litten once more, Curse sitting on her shoulder as she had been for the past few hours. I sat down my things and started getting out the tent. I could honestly keep walking for a little longer but I was worried Jay wasn't up for it. The rest she had before we left Iceshore didn't seem to give her any more energy and I didn't need to watch her pass out while we tried catching up to the others. "I'm taking first watch then."

Jay nodded and started helping me, staying quiet once more. She passed out almost instantly after we were finished, Curse now in her arms while Litten took his place lounging on her side. I smiled slightly at the sight and made sure the blanket was pulled up around her before going to the entrance of the tent and taking my position to keep watch.