Demon

Livia's POV

I lifted my head and peered through my bleary eyes. I looked around as I realised I was back in my own bed. At that moment, the door opened, revealing a slightly flustered Janessa. Not realising I was awake, she flung her book bag onto her bed and sighed, massaging her head. I could see the tension in her shoulders and the set of her mouth.

She turned to look at me and leaped to her feet, eyes blazing as she exclaimed,"You're awake!" She ran to hug me, squeezing me tightly in her embrace as she kissed me hard on my cheek. When she finally let go, she pulled her chair closer to me and linked her arm through mine.

"You've been out for four days. We're all worried for you. I found you lying cold on the streets. I recognised your shoes and oh boy, it was hard carrying you but seriously, I'm happy to see you! I've missed you, Livia," She rambled on. Confused, I looked at her. At that small face alight with pure relief. She did not seemed to notice my confusion and patted my shoulders, getting up from the chair as she turned her head towards the door, shouting,"Tori! Mae! Livia's awake!"

I heard footsteps and suddenly I was squashed between Tori and Mae. I fidgeted uncomfortably as Mae's light giggle started to make me wonder. What exactly happened to me?

I pushed them away and looked at my hands. Mae's eyes darted to me as she put her hands on my shoulders, concerned," Are you okay? Livia?"

I shook my head and opened my mouth to speak...but no words came out. I tried again but to no avail. Janessa grabbed Tori and shook her, looking dismayed. Her eyes darkened alarmingly and in a strained voice, she said," She cant speak!"

Tori's smile had only just begun to slip as she whipped her head to look at me. Her voice was a little  more than a whisper as she said," Oh no..."

I pulled the blanket to my knees and looked at the three of them, tears brimming. I cant speak...

***************************

I cant remember a single thing that happened just a few nights ago. That memory was cloudy in my head, as if something was intentionally blocking me from reaching out to it. Fear wormed its way into my stomach, twisting and curling as I stared at the two swollen holes on my leg. It did not seem to be recovering, which only made the others more worried than ever.

A vampire could not have made those holes as they were much bigger than an average vampire's bite. Which only led me to conclude, the 'thing' that bit me and ruthlessly left me on the streets was a creature of hell. A demon.

I pull my cardigan a little tighter around me, tuning into the conversation the others were having. Rob was rubbing circles on my palm, soothing my nerves, asking Janessa," What did you see again?"

Janessa's chin jerks up and she smiled wearily at me," Her nose and mouth were smudged with dark stinky liquid. And..her leg was throbbing blue and black.." I took a glance at my leg, thinking. Definitely a demon! My mind went white and blinking, I tried to remember what happened but that little thought made my head pound.

" You guys thirsty? I'm getting a drink," Rob said, standing up, the cold reassuring touch of his hand leaving mine. Gabrielle answered, batting her eyelashes at Rob, something typical Gabrielle never did," I am, I'll come with you."

As Gabrielle pulled Rob along, he turned to raise his eyebrows at me. Clearly I was not the only one that noticed Gabrielle's strange behaviour.

"Livia, do you think you might have inhaled the black liquid?" Cornelia asked, twirling strands of black hair around her fingers. I thought for a while, glancing at the wound again.

" Livia had inhaled the black liquid. I examined it and it seems like this black liquid is specifically made to turn into vapour once inhaled to temporarily handicap her voice box. This is why she cannot speak.," Mae said, entering the room with a black liquid-glossed tube in her hand. Janessa let out a huge sigh of relief, throwing her arms around me with a half smile on her face," At least we know your little handicap isn't permanent!"

I smiled at the thought of getting my voice back. But then, that smile faded. Why would anyone want to do this to me? My mind wandered over to Jadrien. He could have hired someone to do this to me but no matter how much he hates me, Jadrien would never go to the extent of hiring demons.

I reached over for a pen and scribbled on my hand before showing it to Tori. She wrinkled her nose in disbelief, shuddering," You really think it's a demon that did this to you?"

I heard a loud crash from behind me. I turned to look at Gabrielle, who was staring at the broken glass shards as if she was avoiding eye contact. Pale white and shaking, she murmered," I'm getting another drink."

She looked up and met my eyes, gritting her teeth hard before she walked away. I started writing everything I knew about demons, the pen dropping to the groung as a thought hit me like a shove from behind, the dark cold horror as I tried to reason with myself. Could Gabrielle somehow be involved in this? I watched as she opened the refrigerator, her shivering hand reaching for the first bottle that she saw.

Could it be possible that those glitter-lacquered fingers had their grip around my mouth, that those hazel eyes had watched me coldly as I fell to the ground?

Thx so much for the wait:))