+ post-detention +

Four

Aaron was the only one sitting in the detention room when I got there. I paused in the doorway before sucking in a deep breath and waltzing in. I dropped my bag on the desk and plonked into the seat. “Sorry she made you come here, I should’ve just kept my mouth shut.”

He looked up at me—his face impassive—and merely shrugged. “It’s fine, Penny. You bring your books?”

I nodded wordlessly and pulled them out, throwing them onto the desk in a careless scramble.  

"So what don't you know?" He questioned as I pushed a desk next to his and plonked down.

I gave him a guilty look. "Nothing."

He chuckled breathlessly, closing his eyes for a few seconds. "Have you listened in class at all this year?"

I shook my head, trying to fight the embarrassed smile of my face. "It's all so boring!"

"Okay. Well, we'll try and make this bearable," he replied, his features softening into a smile.

I noticed—a long time ago, really—that Aaron Archibald defied all 'popular boy' stereotypes. First off, he was smart and not obnoxious and secondly, he was kind. So kind he didn't seem to mind I was keeping him from his very important baseball training. 

True to his word, Aaron made the detention bearable—he made the essay writing interesting and he was a really good teacher. Unlike Ms Dunlop who came into check on us a lot and was expecting me to fail epicly. But by the end of it, I had written four good pages of work and I actually had a proper understanding of JFK. 

As we packed up, I grinned at him. "Thanks for helping me."

He grabbed his bag and hiked it onto his shoulder. "No problem. It beats training out in the sun."

I still felt guilty over that so I ducked my head. "Sorry about that. I owe you one."

He shrugged. "It's fine, Penny. Anyway, are you okay getting home?"

I nodded. "I keep my skateboard in the janitor's closet."

"Clever," he heated with a smile. "I better go though." He checked his watch and started to back away. "I can still catch the last half of training."

"Okay cool. Thanks again, Aaron."

He laughed. "How many times do I have to tell you to call me Archie?!"

I chuckled, lowering my gaze. "Maybe next time."

Aaron gave me a quick salute. "See ya 'round Penny."

I smiled to myself, watching him walk away. When he eventually turned the corner, did I finally grab my board and skate home.

+    +   +   +

I knew that somehow, in some little way, I'd have to pay for the fact I kept Aaron from baseball practice the previous day. However, I thought it would've come from his coach, or even his teammates, but not in the form of two tall and perfect-looking girls, dressed in cheerleading uniforms. 

Heather Hale and Molly Monroe stood in front of me after I shut my locker door first thing in the morning. What was up with rich kids and matching names?

"We're state champions for a reason," Heather stated, skipping the small talk.

"It's because we have Archie, one of the best pitcher's Wingate has ever seen walk through these halls," Molly added.

"But," Heather drew out calculatingly, "that doesn't matter if he's not practicing."

"Because if he's not practicing, it means he's not getting better," Molly hissed.