+ late again +

One

My board hit the concrete with a loud whack and I jumped on it immediately after it did so, pumping my legs forward. 

I was late. Again.

I don’t even know how either. I woke up at the right hour but time just seemed to run away from me. I think it was because I got lost in sifting through the photos I took the previous day but I couldn’t be sure.

School was only a ten-minute skate away but I made it their in eight. Not without repercussions though because at the end of it I was wheezing unattractively grasping for my inhaler. I took a few puffs as I quickly discarded my skateboard into the janitor’s closet – an unspoken agreement I have with him – before racing through the hallway towards my locker. I cranked it open, grabbed my books and bolted towards first period English. I made it inside just as the bell rang and I allowed myself a breath of relief.

I cleared my throat and opened my books, pretending as if I had arrived early when Mr Parker walked in. He greeted the class then began his lesson. I wasn’t listening of course, that was nothing new, I was too busy admiring the way the sun hit the trees outside. The way it cloaked it in its warm embrace. I wished I had my camera on me to capture the moment.

I wasn’t aware someone was calling my name until I felt something hit my head. I snapped out of it to find the whole class staring at me, Mr Parker included. I blushed a deep red as he asked me a question about the novel I never read. Then my blush deepened when I couldn’t answer the question.

He shook his head sadly. “See me after class Penny.”

“Yes Mr Parker,” I drawled grudgingly, this routine happening all too often. 

After class was over, I walked to the front of his class. "Sorry I was daydreaming, it won't happen again," I recited.

He sighed. "Penny you can't keep zoning out in each class. You're missing half the work I give you. You're failing my class."

"I know and I'm sorry. I'll try harder,” I lied.

He shuffled some papers around on his desk. "I know it's not just my class. Maths, Science, Social Studies ... Is there anything you're not failing?"

"Photography," I shrugged. "Maybe General Art."

"Photography is merely an elective Penny and General Art isn’t very substantial. Look, if you're failing, I can organise you a tutor," he said.

I shook my head. "It's fine Mr P, I'll try harder now."

We both knew I was lying.

"Look Penny, I know it's been hard for you," his eyes softened, "but if you don't pass the year, applying for College is going to prove hard. If you need to talk to someone ..."

My gaze hardened and my teeth ground together. I managed to keep my tone calm. "Look I'm fine, I'll try harder and it'll all be fine. I have to go to now or I'll be late for my next class."

I left before he could say anything further. I didn't even go to my next class anyway. Social Studies was boring, like claw your eyes out boring, so instead of going there, I grabbed my camera from my locker and went out into the courtyard. Then lying down on the soft grass, I got lost in capturing the way the sun shone down and curtained the trees. I’d planned the whole shoot in English so it was easy to get lost in the lens.

I was interrupted an hour later, not by the break bell that rung overhead but by Miss North. She glared at me. "Penelope Benson, did you cut class to take photos again?"

I shrugged and nodded. "The tree caught the sun in such a way I couldn't resist."

I sat up and challenged her hard glare. Moments passed before her expression softened, a smile rising. "Are they good photos?"

My face broke into a toothy grin as I stood up and brushed off. "Ask me tomorrow."

"Indeed I will." She started to walk away and her face went back into the glare with no real bite. "Cut class again and you're in detention."

I scoffed and mock saluted her. She'd been telling me that since last year and nothing had come from it. 

After packing up my camera, I went back to my locker. And just as expected, my four best friends were waiting for me. As soon as I was within arm's reach, Geordie pulled me into a headlock, nuzzling my head through my beanie. "You little shit, making me sit in Social Studies alone. You could've text me you were cutting, I would've cut too."

I pushed him off me and righted myself. Even though Geordie's head locks and boyish gimmicks irritated me, I also couldn't help the fact I liked it. It was familiar and comforting and it reminded me that I was not alone in this school of preppy kids. "Sorry man," I said with no real sorrow, "but I was taking photos and you would've annoyed me. You know you fidget too much."

He reached out for me again but I side stepped him and strategically stood behind Cameron. Geordie bit at me but I blew him a raspberry. After he rolled his eyes and I threw the dog a treat, he let me open my locker in peace.

"You get caught?" Daniel asked as he leaned against the locker next to mine.

I shook my head and grabbed my next books. "Only by Miss North but she didn't give a shit."

"Your photography teacher loves you too much to put you in detention," Geordie commented. "She put me on detention last week for swearing at Jason Kidd. It was barely anything mean, it was just—“

Joshua cut him off by putting his hand over his mouth. "You don't need to repeat it Geordie. It was dirtier than the undersides of the gym bleachers. Of course it earned you a detention, you're just lucky Jason didn't beat the crap out of you."

I laughed and closed my locker. "Crazy son of a bitch. But as much as your idiotic stories are both riveting and hilarious, I'm starved. Come on let's go to the cafeteria."

The four boys complied and we started to make our way there. 

We'd only covered ten meters of ground – the boys deep in an animated conversation – when I saw him. 

Aaron Archibald.

He was standing leaning against a locker, blankly looking at the cheerleader that was biting his ear off. He looked good today, wearing fitting jeans and a shirt rolled up at the sleeves, revealing his tan and toned arms. His brown, almost black hair was messy, flopping over his forehead, resting on his thick lashes in a way that was both cute and sexy at the same time. 

As if he knew I was staring, he suddenly looked up and caught my eye. His sharp blue gaze held mine for a few seconds before the barely-there nod occurred and then as if it never happened, he was back to whatever he was doing.

Just like every other time, I had to catch my breath. Whether it was over his undeniably good looks or the fact his piercing gaze reminded me of buried memories, I'm not too sure. All I knew is that every time he acknowledged me in the tiniest way possible – no bigger than a small nod – something stirred deep in the pit of my stomach.

It had been happening since that night halfway through my Junior Year. And even though it had been almost a whole year, the severity of his gaze never failed to leave me reeling as images and snippets replayed through my mind.

I didn't snap out of it until Geordie elbowed me in the ribs. I groaned allowed as he asked me if I was keen for the skate park after school. I nodded in agreement before the boys dove back into discussion, dragging me into it.

And as fast as they surfaced, the memories died out and I went about my day as if they never happened at all.

 +   +   +   +

A/N: So this is the new story. I hope the four boys make up for the loss of New Zealander-ness bc they're very similiar for a reason ;) didn't want to leave y'all hanging. This is going to have fictional places bc I can't be bothered trying to make it real in that sense. Please please vote and comment, it would mean a lot. Pic of Penny on the side. Outfit of her school attire in the external link just to get a taste of what she's about.