23: Don't Talk About This Love

Start from the beginning

"Are you ok Beckett?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" She looked at him and gave him the best sincere smile she could before averting her eyes away from his.

"I don't know, but if you ever wanna talk-"

"I know." She interrupted him.

"Got any big plans this weekend?" Castle continued, wanting some conversation, he needed some.

"No. You?"

"Nah."

"Twinsies." Kate said with a smirk, and looked up at him, peering through hair that had fallen from behind her ear. Castle smiled as well, and he thought he saw light sparking in her once hazel eyes.

"A smile, haven't seen one of those in a while." He meant it as a joke, of course, but she took it not totally the wrong way, but enough of it to make the smile drop from her mouth, "I didn't-"

"No, I know," She interrupted him once more, "but it's true."

Before Castle could get out his next question the both of them turned toward the ding in the elevator. Sorenson stepped out. Castle saw Beckett's demeanor change from somewhat happy to something he couldn't tell. But there was definitely a change in her posture and the way she held herself in that moment.

Sorenson approached the two and directed his full attention toward Kate, not really even acknowledging Castle with more than a glance.

"Kate." Sorenson said, too without emotion.

"Will." Kate matched his tone turning around to face her work, once more picking up her pen, and beginning to write.

"Kate, please." He didn't beg, but it was evident to anyone who was listening, that he wanted to talk.

"Why?" was all she said.

"Do you really want to do this here?"

"Do we have to do it at all?" Kate rolled her eyes.

"Yes." He said more stern than any of his previous statements, and placed a hand on Kate's shoulder. Castle couldn't tell how tight his grip was, but he noticed how obviously uncomfortable it made Beckett. Kate nodded and stood and the two of them headed into the break room and closed both doors. But to Castle's advantage they left the blinds open, not much but they had remained that way because no one had opened them from the night before.

He stayed where he was and observed as the two started off with a normal tone, but as the gestures they used and as their expressions change from neutral to anger, he began to hear more of their voices as they rose. He knew they were both fighting for something they had totally different views on. But what? As the voices became more audible through the walls some of the other officers began to turn their heads. It was only a few, but still, they shouldn't be, he shouldn't either. As the yelling dies down the few who were watching turned their vision back to their work and Castle did to, but out of the corner of his arms he saw one quick motion. It was Sorenson. He had swung back his arm ready to strike Kate. Castle stood ready to break through the door. But she wasn't having it, she raised her hand too, but only to slap his away and give him a small shove backwards. Sorenson wasn't in the mood either, and gave her a shove back, more powerful, forceful. She hit the back of the table, but it didn't seem to phase her. She was ready to punch his lights out of him when Castle thought maybe it's time to intervene. He booked it across the small distance between the break room and Beckett's desk and pulled open the door with force.

The two looked at him surprised, before turning back to each other ready for another shouting match. Castle maneuvered his body in between them and placed his arms out. He was out of breath.