15. Alone

Alex' pov

I saw the look in Maggie's eyes and realized she wasn't joking. Maggie was serious, she wanted a divorce. I kept my mouth shut for a minute to think. So many thoughts were flying in my head. I couldn't get it straight.

"What are you saying, Maggie?" I looked at her with a confused look.

"Am I not clear enough? I don't want to be married to you anymore, Alex." Maggie angrily said.

"You're just confused. We can get through this, we can go to couples therapy if we have to. I'm not giving up on us."

"No, I don't want to. We're done, Alex. Can't you see that? We aren't even talking to each other."

"It's because you don't make a damn effort! I asked you for months to talk to me, but you ignored me. I got tired of your childish behaviour. Do you even realize how hard it was to go through Wyatt's death on my own?! I needed you so bad, but you weren't there. Even though, I was always there for you."

"Enough! I want you out of my apartment!" Maggie yelled.

"No, I'm not leaving you. We're going to talk about this, Maggie. You can't run away from this conversation."

"If you're not gone by tonight, I will be."

"No, Maggie! I'm going to the DEO now, and I will be back in a few hours. You are still going to be here, and we will talk about this. Do you understand me?"

Maggie turned around, and went back into her room. I tried to chase her but she slammed the door right at my face. I packed my stuff and left to go to the DEO.

At the DEO

I was working with J'onn on another alien case. We sent James and Kara to the location because I had to talk to J'onn. He's been a father figure to me for a long time and I really needed his advice.

'Well, Agent Danvers. Is there any alien activity in the city?"

"No, the Guardian and Supergirl just caught the alien so everything is fine."

"Okay. That's good."

"Hey, J'onn? Can I talk to you for a minute, in private?"

"No problem, come with me."

I followed J'onn to one of the recovery rooms, locked the doors and started crying in his arms.

"What's going on, Alex? Tell me."

"Maggie and I are done, she wants a divorce."

"Have you told Kara yet?"

"I told her that Maggie and I had some troubles, but not about the divorce. She's got too much to think about, I don't want to bother her. Please, help me, J'onn. I really don't know what to do. Maggie means everything to me, she's the love of my life." I sobbed.

"She loves you too, Alex. But six months ago, a terrible thing happened. She needs more time to process it. The only advice I can give is talking to her. I know she won't be in the mood for it, but she won't have to do all the talking. Listening helps too, you'll feel closer to one another. She'll let you in after some time."

"Thank you, J'onn. That's exactly what I needed."

"I'm always here for you, Alex. Remember that."

J'onn wiped my tears and gave a kiss on my forehead. We took a breath and got back to work. He really is a father figure to me, he takes good care of me and Kara. A few hours later, I was finished with work and left the DEO. On my way to our apartment, I made a plan about talking to Maggie. I was going to be very gentle and calm, so she would know that she could trust me. I entered the apartment and put my things down.

"Hey, Maggie. I'm sorry it took so long, but I had a lot of cases at the DEO. I took a day off, so I'll be home tomorrow. We can have a good conversation about this, I'm all yours. Maggie?"

She didn't answer.

"Maggie, where are you?"

Silence.

I looked in the bathroom.

Nothing.

I looked in the bedroom.

Nothing.

I opened the wardrobe.

My clothes, but Maggie's were gone.

I started panicking.

I shut the closet, and noticed there was a little note on the bed.

I warned you, don't try to find me. I will send you the divorce papers.

- Maggie