16

Diamond

It's been two weeks since Gio and I made up. Everything isn't back to being a hundred percent normal, but I didn't expect it to be. He's still somewhat upset at me for not hearing him out, but at the same time he understands where I was coming from.

I sat on this bench at the park watching him play basketball with some of his boys. When Gio and I became friends he dropped a lot of the ones he had, mainly because they didn't like me for whatever reason. There were three friends that stayed though. He didn't bring them around because I didn't have any other friends here, I've met them all now and they seem cool. They respect me so I respect them.

I scrolled down my instagram feed and saw a picture of Nova and a girl all hugged up in a restaurant booth. The biggest smile played across my lips. I win. He lost. The time stamp on the picture said 8 hours ago.

I hated the new update. Everything was so out of order. Shit that happens yesterday was at the top and shit that actually happened the day of could be nowhere to be found unless you scrolled for days. I dialed his number, that I know by heart. He picked up on the second ring.

"Oh my gosh Diamond don't start" he said clearly smiling.

I burst into laughter because he knew exactly why I was calling.

"Soooo how do you want to send me my money? I take cash, check, or Pineapple Fanta."

Nova laughed uncontrollably. He knew he lost the bet we made before he started his tour. I told him he was going to meet a fan and fall in love. He thought I was crazy, but obviously I can predict the future.

"So what city did y'all meet in?"

He huffed a little before answering.

"Miami."

I scrunched up my nose in confusion.

"Wayment. I'm very confizzled. Wasn't Miami your FIRST show?"

Nova confirmed that it was and I was even more weak than before.

"Nah patna you gotta run me my money AND a Pineapple Fanta."

He agreed. We talked a few more minutes longer before he had to go. I looked up to see the guys still playing basketball. Thank goodness I found a spot in the shade because it was hecka hot here today.

The summer break had just started and Gio had me outside everyday with these dudes. I love him, but damn they don't have any sisters, cousins, or girls that are friends?

Just when I was about to call him over so we could leave they all came walking over. EVERY last one of them had a smile on their face. I knew something was up. I shook my head from side to side.

"Hey babe" Gio started out followed by the guys. "Heyyy Diamond."

I looked between them all and rolled my eyes.

"What y'all clowns want?"

They burst into laughter and Gio sat down beside me smelling like the outside. He smelled horrible. I slid to the opposite side of the bench and looked him up and down.

"Well damn baby. Ion stink that bad" he said sucking his teeth after. "Anyway the guys are going out later and I wanted to know can I go?"

I was taken way back. Like why was this dude asking me for MY permission?

"Uh I mean why you asking me? You're your own person. We ain't married you don't have to ask me to do anything."

All the guy's eyes popped out of their little heads. They looked shocked as hell like they've never heard a girlfriend tell her boyfriend that.

"Gio where you find this girl at?! She's a gem man. Better keep her. Toya would never react that way."

I rolled my eyes at how silly these boys are. Gio doesn't need my permission to do or go anywhere. If he wants to do it then he can. Only thing I ask is that he lets me know he made it there safely.

"Ok. Well we're going to go to the club since I'm finally eighteen. You don't mind do you?"

He knows that's not my scene so of course I won't be tagging along. My mom is out of town for work and Jermaine is gone to handle some business. Guess I'll spend the night with Gio's mom.

"No babe I don't. I'll just spend the night with your mom."

All the guys were saying all kinds of damn, shit, word and other things. It's really sad that they're not used to a girlfriend acting like a girlfriend. Unless there's a ring on my finger I'm not tripping off of certain stuff. He wants to go to the club, ok. He knows how to act and what not to do.

"Well y'all ready to go cause I am and y'all stink."

They all laughed at me and Biddeford their heads. We went to our cars and drove back to Gio's house. I guess the guys had already planned this because all three of them had a change of clothes in their car.

******

"Aite ma we're about to head out" Gio said kissing her on the forehead.

She gave him a hug back. She looked like she wasn't too happy that he was all grown up and legal now. Since Gio didn't have a party or anything for his birthday he's going out with his friends.

Next he walked over to me and smiled. He gave me a kiss on the lips and then a hug. I didn't want to let go but I did. Before he left out I told him to be safe and text me when they go there. He nodded and waved bye.

"Girls night it is I guess."

I laughed and shook my head yes. It was a little after nine on a Friday. Mama Ferrer turned on Netflix and found us a movie. I snuggled up on the couch with my drink and snacks. I actually liked hanging out with Gio's mom unlike some girlfriends. She's nice and sweet and treats me like I'm someone.

"I'm glad you decided to spend the night with me. I get so bored when y'all kids are gone all day."

I smiled and told her I didn't mind. She gave me a warm smile back and we both paid attention to the movie that was playing, Dueces.