1

I was sitting in the cafe by myself as usual. These kids at this school are beyond immature and lame as hell. I don't need any new friends so I'm staying to myself. I picked up a fry and put it in my mouth.

"Hey what's up" I heard someone say. The voice was coming from in front of me.

When I looked up there sat one of the most popular boys in school. He was cute but too old for me.

"Hey" I said dryly.

He smiled and chuckled a little bit. I wasn't sure what was funny cause I ain't a comedian and definitely didn't say anything comical. I continued eating my fries hoping that he'd get the hint and disappear.

"So you're Diamond right?"

I stopped eating and looked up at him. He's a senior so I wasn't sure how he knew who I am, or why he wanted to know who I am.

"Yep. How you know my name?"

He smiled and that's when I saw how perfect his smile is. I looked him over a little more and he is most definitely cute, cuter than I originally thought. Smooth brown skin, perfect teeth, long beautiful hair. This boy was everything.

"I know everything that goes on around here and just about everyone who attends this school. Plus everyone is talking about you" he added at the end.

Now I was even more curious.

"Talking bout me? What they saying?"

He slid closer to me and told me not to get mad. I didn't make any promises knowing how my attitude is set up. I'm not the type to get bent over what a stranger has to say, but I am very curious about what lies these bums spreading.

"Well most of the girls are saying that you're mean and have a nasty attitude. I wanted to find out for myself, so here I am."

I was shocked, but at least he didn't believe everything he heard. I loosened up and listened to what he had to say.

"I'm not mean I just don't trust people enough to be all buddy buddy with people I don't know like that. So what else they say?"

He nodded and told me he understood. He said that it took him a year and a half to open up and welcome new people in his life. Then he went on to tell me how some of the girls think I like girls because of how I dress and the guys don't care if I'm a lesbian or straight, they want to turn me out.

I rolled my eyes because kids my age are so damn dumb. How can you prejudge someone based on what you see from the outside? Unless I say I like girls then it's a no for me dawg. As far as these guys, they can keep wishing because it most definitely won't happen. They'll have a better chance seeing pigs fly then getting with me.

The bell rang for us to go back to class. I gathered my trash and went to throw it away. The senior followed behind me as we left the cafeteria. I was receiving so many cold stares but honestly I didn't care. None of these kids knew anything about me and that's how it was going to stay.

"Hey, Diamond" he called. I turned around to face him. "If you don't mind I'd like to get to know you as a friend if that's ok?"

I gave him a subtle smile and told him that I'd think about. That was good enough for him. We went our separate ways and headed to the last class of the day. I was more than ready to get out of school. So far North Carolina was lame as hell and I miss Baltimore so much.

****

School was over and I was waiting on my brother to pick me up, but it doesn't look like he's coming. I let out a heavy sigh and pulled out my phone. I went to maps and typed in my address and picked walking as my transportation. Maps says my house is a thirty minute walk, which wasn't that bad.

I head down the sidewalk and towards the end of the road. When I came to the stop sign I had to cross the street. I looked all four ways before crossing. Just as I stepped off the sidewalk a car came out of nowhere slamming on breaks. I jumped back and said some real foul words under my breathe. The driver's door flung open and I rolled my eyes at who it was.

"Oh shit Diamond I'm so sorry. Where you headed?"

I was irritated cause this clown almost hit me so some slick shit kind of slipped out.

"Where you're not going" I said rolling my eyes.

I proceeded to cross the street and head home. I didn't even bother looking back. I heard his car get put into gear and then he pulled up next to me. He rolled the window down and slowly drove next to me.

"Need a ride?"

I looked over to him and shook my head from side to side. "No. I'm good."

He smiled and continued to follow me. This guy just wasn't giving up. I began to walk a little faster but that only made him speed up as well.

"Dude I said I don't need a ride. Why you still following me?"

As harsh as that came out he remained calm with a smile on his face. "Cause no girl should be walking outside alone. Niggas is crazy round hea."

His country accent was kind of cute. He had a point, but I still wasn't getting in the car with him. He could be one of those crazy niggas he speaks of so I kept walking.

"I tell you what" he spoke. "If you don't get in the car with me i'll follow behind to make sure you get home safely."

I rolled my eyes and gave him a thumbs up. "Do what you gotta do" I said accent thick as hell.

In half a smile turn right on Mebane Street.

I looked over at ol dude driving next to me and laughed. He was blasting Kendrick's new album loud as hell. DNA was playing and I started rapping along until we were basically having a concert on the side of the street.

"How far do you have to go? I swear I'm not a serial killer or nun. Just get in."

I looked up to the sky and said a quick prayer then got into the backseat. He looked back at me and laughed hysterically. I wasn't taking any chances. If he wanted to kill me he was going to have to turn all the way around.

"You think I'm going to hurt you or something?"

I smirked and said "Maybe. Anyway follow the yellow brick road bruh. I need to get home so I can curse my brother out for not picking me up."

He laughed again and that's when I realized I didn't know his name.

"What's your name?"

he turned around and said "Oh shit. I'm Giovanni."

*************

Hey guys, new story here. Diamond is "played" by a rapper named Deetranada from Baltimore, Maryland. Trying something new so like always, comment. vote. share.