12

December 31, 2017

We were sitting by the pool drinking smoothies and soaking up the sun. Our house still wasn't done being fixed so we decided to take a family vacation to bring in the new year.

"Cali is beautiful as fuck. I wouldn't mind living here to be honest."

I looked over at Gio like he was crazy.

"Uh no. Ain't no way you leaving me."

He sipped his drink and gave me the side eye. I mushed him in the head and giggled. He is so damn cute and I love looking at him. A smile crept up on his face.

"Baby why you always staring at me? Being weird and shit?"

My cheeks began to heat up and I just knew they were red from me blushing. This feeling was something new. I've never felt this way about any boy before. I turned over to him and grabbed him by the face, squishing his lips together and placing mine on his. He smiled, making me smile as well.

"I love you" I said.

"I love you too baby."

He pecked my lips one more time before pulling away. Our parents were upstairs in the hotel room, or the bar who knows.

"Excuse me?" We heard a soft voice say.

I looked over and saw a beautiful woman looking back at us. She had long pretty hair and caramel skin.

"Yes, can we help you?"

She smiled while the man beside her just sat and minded his business.

"You guys are so cute. Are you married? You remind me so much of me and my husband when we first got married."

I was flattered. Our bond was so tight that we came off as married.

"No ma'am we're just some kids in love. I'm sixteen and he's seventeen."

She nodded her head and asked if she could give us some advice. I was always down to learn new things and gain wisdom. I nodded my head and went to sit on Gio's lap. We faced her and were all ears.

"I've learned that the trick to surviving love is compromise. Love and relationships are a two-way street. Can't always have it your way" she said. I laughed and looked at Gio. He sucked his teeth and rolled his eyes.

Gio is most definitely the 'I want it now, and my way' type person. We clash more than people would think because of my strong personality. I don't put up with anyone's shit. Never have I and never will I.

"Hear that babe. Compromise. So when you wanna be all curled up under me and it's too hot compromise your ass to the other side of the bed."

Her husband burst into laughter. It was like his wife has told him that exact same thing before.

"Don't mean to sound nosy, but you guess sleep in the same bed?"

Gio nodded with a smile on his face. We were different from all these other teenagers. Although Gio and Carmen had sex on the regular, we have an understanding and he's willing to wait for me, no matter how long that may take.

"Yes ma'am" he said. "Her house was flooded and she's staying with me. Her mom and brother trust us to not do anything we have no business doing."

The look on her face said everything. She was more surprised that we weren't having sex over the fact two black parents let their kids lay up together. Everyone knows most black parents don't play that."