Chapter 2

Emma has been alone all of her life. Her only friend betrayed her a long time ago. Her parents abandoned her when she was just an infant. The only real boyfriend she had got her pregnant and she ended up in jail because of him. Throughout the years, Emma built walls around her heart, walls that no one would ever have the power to bring down. So today like every year, she was alone on her birthday. She was used to it. After all, it was the 24th time. Only, this year she got a present. A present that she definitely did not want. Who wants to be fired on their birthday? Emma went up to the fridge and took a cupcake out of it. She lit a candle and blew it.

Happy birthday to me

Emma sighed and ate the cupcake while drinking a glass of red fancy wine. She hated being alone. It's not because you get used to something that you appreciate it. She missed having someone to talk to, someone to confide in. She missed her friend. Emma felt a tear run down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away. She put her plate and her fork in the dishwasher and lied down on the couch. She stared at the ceiling for a few minutes and decided that she did not want to be alone. Not today. Not for her birthday. She took her purse and left her apartment.

Killian left Ireland when he was just 18, after his only love died. He always wanted to discover something new. He always felt like Ireland was too old fashioned. Too... casual. He had a loving brother who was taking care of him ever since their father abandoned them. When Killian turned 18, he felt like he was really too much for his brother who just got married. Killian said goodbye and left for America. At first, he really liked it but he quickly realized that it was no better than Ireland. Still, he didn't want to go back. When Killian got a degree at MIT, he left Boston for New York and quickly got hired. He bought an apartment in Brooklyn with the money his uncle left him and had always lived this casual boring life. He hasn't met anyone and became friends with his roommate at MIT, Robin. Every year for Christmas, Killian flew to Ireland to spend the holidays with his family. He didn't miss them as much as he thought he would.

But today, after this horrible day at work, Killian felt alone. He should've gone get a drink with Robin. He always got a drink on his own at home, but he kinda was sick of always being alone. Or having one friend. Robin was really nice but he wanted to meet other people. Not other women, just other people. He didn't want to get in a relationship. Nothing serious. Not since what happened with Milah. The pain was far from gone. He hooked up with random girls a few times but that meant nothing to him. He didn't want anything to mean something to him.

Killian got up and stared at the beautiful view he had from his bedroom. New York was his home. It felt more like home than anywhere he's ever lived before. Even Ireland. He knew that he would spend the rest of his life here. He had a steady job, a rather nice apartment and he was well paid. What else woulds he need?

A wife.

He felt like something was missing. Maybe it was love. Maybe not. Killian was willing to risk his life for two things : love and revenge. He did not seek fame or wealth. When his brother got engaged, Killian was a little jealous. Love really worked out for his brother. The only woman Killian ever loved ended up dead. But, still, Killian did not give up on love. He just told himself that he wouldn't jump in. So tonight, Killian decided he would go out, get drunk in a random bar and forget his life for a few minutes.

Author's note

Heyyyyyy so this is my first captain swan fanfic please go easy on me! Tell me what you think in the comment section! This chapter was quite short I know but the next one will be better and longer I promise!