Part I • Chapter VIII

Introductions - Part Three

Luke

Luke

"No luck?" I noticed that Victor was also lacking a companion as we met each other outside of the ballroom.

Honestly, I didn't think we would find her inside the building so it was no surprise to me that our search was unsuccessful.

Victor rubbed the back of his neck as he made to enter the room while I followed. "Hopefully they have better luck outside, and someone finds her before she joins another group, or something worse."

"Yeah." I looked around at the crowded room of men.

A lot of the tributes were rather large and impressive looking. If I didn't know better then I would have been intimidated as well. I couldn't even begin to imagine what kind of thoughts that the lone woman in the room might be having right about now.

I hadn't been able to get a glimpse of her like Victor or Dr Green but I could feel my chivalrous nature rising to the occasion. Not to mention, after seeing Dr Green and Victor shaken up just from the little that they did know...

It made me really curious as to what kind of woman would cause that kind of reaction.

Then I saw her.

She walked into the alcove with Dr Green and Mr Blackbourne at her side, looking for all the world that she would rather be anywhere else than here. Hell, she looked as though she belonged anywhere else than this death sentence.

I froze where I stood, I could only stare at her in this moment. I could feel that Victor in a similar state of mind as well, if his sharp intake of breath was any indication.

She wore a pink dress that showcased her tiny, hourglass figure, and she was everything I had ever fantasized about in a woman. Despite the wariness in her big green eyes, I could also see that she was curious, had a fun loving nature and was very intelligent.

Her hair was pulled back into an elaborate braid but it came to below her shoulder blades and, good lord, was that a backless dress?

I swallowed hard as she was lead by Dr Green into my previously forsaken seat. She sat gracefully down next to North, who had taken Kota's spot.