02; Rebirth

~*~

INVICTUS

Part 1: Hope In Vain

Chapter 02; Rebirth

Lark had awoken some hours before she'd opened her eyes, not daring to realize the colors and shapes of the haunting reality that loomed over her. Eventually she realized running from it would do her no good, and eventually she would have to wake up.

Her eyes felt unused and smoky, like a greasy film had been laid over them and she was looking through that murky pane at the world. Everything was white; white, white, white. So white it hurt to look at, but the pain felt nice compared to the throbbing in her chest.

"Oh, good—you're finally awake." The voice came from her left and physically startled Lark, but only to cause her to jerk slightly. "Don't worry sweetheart, everything is OK, you're safe and in stable condition."

"Water." Lark wheezed, mouth feeling as if it was filled with sand.

"Of course, here." She pulled a tall glass of water from...somewhere, Lark didn't care. She took it and drank greedily, hardly noticing that the water spilled over the glass and onto her chest. When she was satisfied she set it down, wiping her chin and having the humility to look sheepish due to her greediness. "You've been out for three days. Your vitals are fantastic actually, though they had to flush your lungs on the way here. Your heart rate lowered after taking the sedative, and while you were out they took a number of scans for broken bones or any other skin injuries. There was nothing on the surface or, to our great surprise, inside. You fractured a bone your left wrist (which will cause you to have to wear a brace for a bit) and have sustained a few minor lacerations, nothing too serious though."

Lark was waiting for it. She made a grunting noise as she sat in a less elevated position, it hurt her back and made her realize how stiff her legs were. "It's a miracle, really." The nurse continued, looking at Lark expectantly.

She offered no immediate reply. Her eyes had drifted to the open window where light streaked in through the thin veil the curtains provided, she thought she might never witness the sun again. It appeared she was wrong.

Lark lifted her hand and held it into the soft sunlight, her fingers tingling with warmth as she stretched them and watched the glimmers dance on the skin of her open palm. Suddenly the moment was poisoned as she came to full soberness and thought of all that had transpired just three nights ago. Lark withdrew her hand and turned to the nurse, feeling slightly sheepish but being too tired to show it. "When can I leave?"

"Well, like I said, your vitals are astounding. You appear to be very healthy despite what happened, so I can't expect it to be any later than tonight." She smiled kindly, her motherly tone unfamiliar to Lark. "Your grandmother is waiting for you, if you're feeling up to it I can tell her you're awake, if not then I can just tell you're still asleep."

"Send her in, I'm OK."

"Are you sure? It's completely alright to take some time to feel yourself again."

Lark didn't want to be alone. She needed to be distracted, then she could feel herself again. "No, I'm fine."

"OK, if you need anything just push that red button on the side of your bed there. I'll go get her for you." She smiled again, flashing sympathy into her smile before quietly leaving the room. Lark quickly turned her attention to assessing her bland surroundings until her grandmother came.