Part #008

Huge, white and golden gates loomed up in front of them

"Wow..." Cristi and Ella whispered together.

They slowed to a stop as the cars in front of them braked, waiting patiently in line for their turn to hand the guards their invitation and be waved through the gates.

Slowly, ever so slowly, Cristi inched forwards until they were stopped again by a guard who bent down, blue-gloved hand extended.

"Invitation please." His deep voice rumbled. Ella handed it to him and he waved a scanner over the top of it. The scanner beeped green, he handed the paper back and sent them through the fence and into a parking lot beyond.

More assistants were waiting to show them to a parking place where Cristi said goodbye and started her trip back out of the maze of sparkling clean cars.

As Ella walked up to the Palace steps, she noticed that all the cars around her seemed to be much newer models or in way nicer condition that Cristi's had been.

She also realized that the outfit that had made her feels so extraordinary at her house was common place in this crowd of elegant people, twittering quietly amongst themselves as they made their way to the massive oak doors, which gaped slightly open, welcoming its visitors.

Yet more guards stood, once more scanning invitations as people passed through.

Ella was given her paper back as the guard called "Next!" to the person behind her. She was then ushered into a magnificent welcoming hall, where, even as people were being sent through to the courtyard below, hors d'oeuvres were being passed out by girls in white aprons and gloves.

The ceiling was hard to see without craning your neck, and stained glass windows cast colorful lighting on all who were below them.

A balcony was next, marble stairs leading to a huge courtyard below. Gowns and suits, lights and music and laughter were all that could be seen. Ella started towards it eagerly but was stopped by another guard.

"Invitation please, miss." She complied, wondering how many times throughout the evening this was going to happen.

"Excuse me, please step this way Miss." He placed a gentle hand on her back and led her into a separate room where a couple dozen others were waiting.

"What's going on?" She asked in bewilderment.

"All of the Royal Family's personal guests are going to be announced fifteen minutes after the ball starts. Drinks and food are provided until then, enjoy yourself." He left.

Everyone who had turned to look at her when she'd walked in was now going back to what they had been doing. It was much quieter and calmer in here rather than out with the big crowd.

Ella looked up at a large clock on the wall which had carvings of inspirational quotes all around it, one for each hour. It was nearly seven now and Ella giggled at the quote beside the small clocks' needle.