Chapter 6

Darkness pressed down around Ashpaw. He swayed, disoriented in the void-like surroundings he was in. He could see trees, illuminated by unnatural white light coming from further away. They closed in around him, and Ashpaw shrunk back and began mewling for help. He was scared, alone, and wanted his mother more than anything right now.

Just then, he felt thunder in the ground. The rumbling got stronger, and Ashpaw heard the angry caterwauling coming towards him through the trees. As soon as he saw the first of the cats tearing through, he started running.

His paws beat against the earth, skidding to swerve around branches and rocks, hoping to lose the trail of the pursuers. But no matter how fast he ran they only caught up further. His chest was tight and he heaved breaths through clenched teeth. Then he realized there was something soft between his teeth. The scent of kit caught in his nose.

Just as Ashpaw had that thought, he saw himself, cowering among the bushes. He was much smaller than he was now, and his eyes were wide in a strange confusion. Although seeing himself should have been the real shock, Ashpaw only had one feeling, one that shook the air from his lungs and made his body reap with pain.

I have to go back! Go back for my son!

He awoke with a startled spasm. His breath was heavy and his entire body was quivering. It took him a moment to realize he had been dreaming again, the same dream he'd been having since he went to the Moonstone. He looked up, desperately scanning the den for Badgerheart. To his disappointment, he was alone.

He had told Badgerheart about his dream before, wondering if it had some connection to Starclan. But Badgerheart disagreed and said it was more likely a nightmare caused by him thinking about his mother so often and worrying about her. Unfortunately, neither of them had a solution on how to stop the dreams.

A low rumble of thunder came from outside. As Ashpaw became more aware, he could hear heavy rain as well, drumming on the roof of the den. He couldn't tell what time it was, but the den was very dark because of the weather, and he assumed it to be late.

One would think the storm would scare someone such as Ashpaw, but it was actually quite the opposite. It always gave him a nostalgic feeling, like he was back in his old home, blanketed with the protection it provided. Another rumble came from outside, it comforted him slightly after his nightmare.

He stood and stretched, shaking his fur out. The air was definitely starting to get cooler. Although Ashpaw had never experienced it, he knew that after so many moons the world would grow bitter cold, covering the ground in a white substance called snow. He felt he remembered it for some reason. Perhaps he had been born during the cold season, or it was just an instinct he had. Whatever it was, he could feel it happening, and it creeped into his nest like a slow mist.

Lightning struck somewhere distant, illuminating the den for less than a heartbeat. But it was just long enough to show the outline of a cat barrelling inside. Ashpaw's fur stood on end as the shaggy mess of fur came in panting.

"Ashpaw, are you awake?" Badgerheart asked. He sounded worried.

"Right here." Ashpaw whimpered. He stepped closer to the dripping body of Badgerheart and that's when the smell of blood hit him.

"Riverclan's attacking." He heaved.

Ashpaw barely had a moment to react when Badgerheart stormed past him and started grabbing herbs. Cobwebs, dock leaves, goldenrod, everything used to heal wounds. Ashpaw's heart pounded in his ears, drowning out the sound of more thunder rumbling outside. "What should I do?"

Badgerheart didn't look at him, instead he dropped the mess of herbs in front of him. "You're going to do your job."

The seriousness in his voice stunned him momentarily, "M-my job?" Ashpaw stuttered, "You mean heal them? During a battle?"