Chapter 5

Hi! That wasn't such a long wait, was it?

This chapter is really long (but really poorly written, haha, no seriously I think its rushed but I'm not a writer so whatever) but a lot of stuff happens!! Really excited!!

also

WE'RE HALF WAY DONE?

It's hard to believe we're already coming to the end of the story. Next chapter will be a quick filler-ish chapter and then stuff starts hitting the fan. Im excited!! Thank you all for taking a moment of your day to read my little book. It may not be the best but it means a lot to me, so thank you :'>

--------

When Badgerheart first proposed the idea of becoming his apprentice, he hadn't mentioned the ceremony it would require.

"Step forward." Cardinalstar's booming voice echoed over the muttering of cats who surrounded him. Ash quivered in fear as his soon-to-be-mentor stood amongst the crowd, giving an encouraging smile once in awhile. It didn't really help, as Ash just wanted to get this over with.

Cardinalstar stood on a towering boulder, one that he could see everything and everybody in camp. It also made him seem taller, more fierce and commanding. Next to the rock was Brickjaw, the large aggressive brother of Badgerheart. He had learned that he was the "deputy", or rather the second in command of Thunderclan. He sneered angrily and his short tail was flicking. Ash was in no hurry to get closer to him.

"I said, step forward." Cardinalstar said again, louder this time. His patience was clearly already thin, so Ash inhaled some courage and took a couple paces toward the rock that loomed before him.

The leader spoke again, not quite as loudly. "Ash," he said his name like it were poisonous. "You have been living with us for nearly half a moon now. Do you wish to become a full time apprentice and part of Thunderclan?"

Not really. He thought silently, not daring to say that out loud. He just tried to remind himself of everything Badgerheart promised him. My mother. He breathed in and answered quietly, "Yes, I do."

Cardinalstar blinked, and raised his gaze to the crowd around him. "Then from this day on, until you are trained proficiently in the way of a medicine cat, you will be known as Ashpaw." Ash's heart jolted. Wait, no! I don't want a new name! He wanted to scream, but instead he just looked desperately at Badgerheart.

He didn't look back though, as Cardinalstar addressed him. "Badgerheart, you have convinced me to let you train this apprentice. I will trust your judgement, and I hope you can pass on your wisdom and nobility for Thunderclan onto him."

Badgerheart nodded, and stepped through the crowd towards Ashpaw. He leaned in to touch his nose to his, but Ashpaw just buried his face in his pelt to seek comfort. He seemed startled, but just calmly wrapped his tail around his apprentice and pulled him closer into the embrace. He didn't even hear when the cat's half-heartedly cheered his new name.

That had been almost a moon ago, and nothing exciting had happened since. Badgerheart started to teach him basic remedies and herb names, and like he had originally predicted the clan cats started to care less about Ashpaw's presence. He even managed to treat one of the elders for ticks without getting his nose bit off.

It was sunhigh now, and although it was considerably warm outside, the den was cool and musty as always. The two nests they slept in had gradually grown closer together. Ashpaw hadn't even noticed it. He had become so comfortable living with the medicine cat that he almost felt as if he were home.