Mayi and Ababa

Trigger Warning:
This chapter contains content that deals with death of close loved ones, suicide, and gore. If you are someone who is easily triggered by these things, then please skip this chapter
                                                -Taylor

----------------------------------------

"Mayi, I found berries! Can I use them to heal Ababa?"
Marel turned, her deep red hair swishing in the air as if she were underwater. Her brilliant smile showed, gracing her fingers over her daughter's cheek as she chuckled.
"They may not heal him Mwana, but I'm sure Ababa would love some berries for his snack."
Her daughter grinned at her, and though it was beautiful, it matched her father's smile. Marel followed (Y/n) as she was pulled along by the young girl, the two soon reaching large stone doors. (Y/n) knocked, declaring herself like she'd been taught to.
"(Y/n) Nyanja come to see her Ababa!" She declared proudly, and a cheerful chuckle was her reply. "Come in, my darling Mwana." The deep voice trembled back as (Y/n) swung open the doors with ease, racing to her father's bedside.
She climbed onto it, opening a little sack she'd pulled out from her satchel and untying the top, a plethora of berries spilling out onto the bed sheets.
"What have you brought me Mwana?"
"I brought Ababa these berries! Mayi said they can't heal you, but they're really tasty!" She chirped as he managed to slip one into his mouth. "They are lovely dear but, Ababa isn't very hungry right now." (Y/n)'s smile faltered before she sat next to him sadly. "Ababa, you haven't eaten anything in nearly four days..." She observed quietly, Marel trying to coax her out of the room.
"Ababa is tired Mwana, let's leave him to rest."
"But he's not getting any better!" She cried suddenly, waves of water sloshing into the room suddenly. "Mwana please calm down, you're upsetting Ababa..." Grimild pleaded, coughing gently as she shook her head, slamming her fists against her knees.
Thunder in the room.
"What happens when you leave Mayi and I? You need to try and get better or you'll leave us all alone! Mayi can't make everyone happy by herself!"
"Ababa doesn't have much longer Mwana!" Marel snapped, her own tears falling.
"P-please, just enjoy him while we still have him around." The woman hiccupped desperately, sitting on the bed with the two loves of her life. The waves lapped out of windows and through the doors, the thunder dying down to a gentle rumbling. "Let's all rest together." Grimild suggested weakly, wrapping an arm around his wife's shoulders, his other arm pulling his only child to his chest in a grateful embrace.

Blurry eyes opened and she was greeted by a sticky, copper smelling liquid that she didn't like the sense of, finding her conscious and realizing it was blood covering her father's chin and sticking against his black beard. She'd woken up to this before, the midnight hacks he'd experience, and they would die down and she would cry and cling to his King's robes while her mother sang lullabies to lull the two back to sleep that she hoped was peaceful but knew was racked with horrific nightmares and terrors.
(Y/n) tried to shake him, grasping his hand and trembling. "Ababa...i-it can't be your time yet..." She hiccupped, tears already falling.
"Mayi said not much longer, that doesn't mean now it means in a few weeks or days but not now..." The girl sobbed, shaking his hand again before letting it settle into her mind that Grimild Nyanja, King of the mer-people and water demons, but most importantly her Ababa, would never wake up again and that he was gone and she'd never get to see his eyes again or his smile that she apparently had as well. She let it settle before kissing his forehead one last time and sliding out of the bed.
She closed the stone doors and went to look for her Mayi who seemed to have disappeared during the night and she followed the smell of burning and came to the kitchen and as soon as she saw her mother's red hair on the other side of the counter she began to cry again because her mother hated sitting and she knew this was a bad thing that Mayi was slumped over against the counter. (Y/n) rounded the corner of the counter slowly, the burning smell still high in the air mixed with something else because Mayi turned on the stove and now whatever was in the pot on top was burning and when she turned the corner she knew why it smelled so bad. Mayi was covered in the sticky, copper smelling stuff too, just like Ababa was, but instead it was coming from her neck and the flowing had stopped by now but Mayi was pale and her eyes were closed and her entire body was covered in the gross crimson colour that (Y/n) didn't like all that much. And after the top blew off the pot and gave her a near heart attack, (Y/n) noticed the crimson covered steel thing next to Mayi because it shined in the light of the kitchen and nearly blinded her when she went to hug Mayi, it was only then that it settled in her mind that Mayi was gone too, and though Ababa didn't have a choice Mayi did this to herself.
(Y/n) stood and all alone she rung the bell that signalled the kingdom of a great tragedy or a threat and soon all the kingdom was standing in a crowd while little (Y/n), their little Mwana stood in front of that crowd and told her people that their leaders were dead and there was nothing she could do to help but tell them to go free (even though none wished to do so).
By morning, their little Mwana was gone from the kingdom just like everyone else.