His Maid, The Wait

The ride to the Phantomhive townhouse was uneventful, the young male simply sleeping the whole way. Elise fell asleep on his shoulder -they were a lot like siblings- and once Mary opens the door he wakes her up. "Rise and shine, Elise. We're here." The sleepy girl holds on to him as they enter the house, Ciel looking at them oddly. "Is she your fiancé or something?" Elise sputters. "N-no. I'm the family chef. We're just... Like family in the (L/n) household. He treats us all as equals, and not as servants." You nod. "They are all near and dear to me, so we are held on ground of equality. Even if they are technically servants and I am technically their master, our relationships are more akin to that of family or close friends. I refuse to treat them any differently, even if it goes against social norms. I've never been a man for such formalities." You shrug, as if indifferent to the matter entirely.

Ciel couldn't help but to think him strange, but who wouldn't? A noble man, head of his own company, treating the servants so kindly and allowing them to address him so casually? It was unheard of. Sebastian too, was curious. This man seemed perfectly content, so why was a demon bound to him? Why hadn't she taken his soul yet? After he shows them to their rooms, Sebastian pulls aside Mary. "May I ask you something, Mary?" "You just did, Sebastian." He gets an irk mark on his forehead. "You know what I meant." "Alright, but I won't answer if I don't want to." "Your master seems perfectly content; how is your contract incomplete? And if it isn't, why haven't you taken is soul yet?" She sighs. "It's not complete, and it never will be. Even if it was though... I've grown attached to him and his kindness. I wouldn't be able to kill my master." "What do you mean it never will be?" "That's a question I won't answer in its entirety. I will tell you this though: I made a careless mistake. I wasn't sure of the exact details for what he wanted, and as such I didn't learn it was impossible until it was too late. His hadn't intended to deceive me either; he was genuinely sad when he realized even I couldn't help him with what he needed. That's as much information as you'll get out of me."

She walks off, not failing to notice Elise staring at a lady with bright red hair. Mary beckons for her, and Elise whispers into her ears. "I think that Madame Red and her butler -who introduced himself as Grell- are Jack the Ripper. They just give off a bloody vibe, and I don't trust either of them at all. It's not a demon contract, but Grell doesn't exactly feel... Human either." No one outside of the (L/n) family knew that Elise was a witch -which is why her parents abandoned her- but her ability to sense the supernatural and read auras has always been a tremendous help.

"Brilliant work as always, Elise. I'm sure (y/n) will be very glad to hear that the case can be over soon. You know he gets uneasy sleeping over as a guest. The sooner we can get back home, the better. I'll go inform him and work on a plan; you go get some rest Elise. You can keep the room to yourself; I'll be guarding our master so he may sleep properly." "Goodnight Mary."

After the young girl runs off to her room, Mary knocks on your door. "Who is it?" "It is me, master. I thought you may struggle to sleep here so... I was going to watch over you." There was a moment of silence before you gave a muffled "come in". Mary closes the door behind her, sitting on the edge of your bed. "Sleep well, master. The case won't take long to solve... Elise already knows; it's simply a matter of gathering evidence. I won't allow anyone to hurt you, so sleep." "Thank you, Mary."

She strokes your hair as you close your eyes. Mary truly was like how a mother should be: tender and loving, while being protective of him. Thoughts of just how lucky he was that he had a context with her filled (y/n)'s mind, a soft smile finding its way to his face as he falls into slumber.