Chapter 6

After we ate our pizza it was close to evening and we decided to change out of our bathing suits. Feyre wanted to have drinks on the deck and so we all decided to get dressed in warmer clothes. I had gotten the first shower and since I was already ready, I started to clean up. Cassian had gone after me. I put the last few dishes in the sink, and then turned to go up to my room.

I heard someone in the living room. I didn't really look to see who it was, there were eight of us staying in the house. Yes for some reason my sister had invited Tomas to stay here too. Luckily he had left me alone today. Which meant I had forgotten all about him. Playing pretend with Cassian was taking up more of my mind than Tomas and his stupid games.

I barely made it up the first two steps before someone was behind me. I didn't get a chance to turn around, because he jumped in front of me and grabbed my forearm. His grip was hard, his nails dug into my skin. If he pushed any harder he would draw blood. I struggled, opening my mouth to curse at him.

Except he pushed his hand over my lips and suddenly I couldn't breathe. Suddenly I was back in that room, when the alcohol and whatever else he had put in that cup rendered my body useless. Made me a victim of his endless games.

Tomas got real close to my face. His smile dripped with venom, "I see your perfect new boyfriend isn't here to save you, Nesta."

He pushed me towards the wall, the banister blocking me from view. My hands shook as he leaned closer, his lips almost touching my neck.

"Should I finish what I started all those nights ago? You still owe me," his finger ran down my thigh and I felt sick. I could feel my food rebelling as he spoke, as he touched me. 

If I wasn't frozen, if I wasn't fighting the nauseous feeling in my stomach, I would've pushed him away. But then his bright green eyes found mine and I couldn't move. I could barely breathe as I remembered his threats. As I remembered the camera recording it all. I heard the whispers. I heard the lies.

"Hey," a door opened and Cassian's voice hit me before my knees gave out. Tomas jumped away from me, my face pale, my hands still shaking, "what are you doing?"

Tomas smiled as my fake boyfriend pulled me into his chest, "we were just catching up."

Cassian glanced around, "I don't like you. I know you're the reason she has nightmares. I don't know what you did but if I ever find out I swear you'll never look at another girl again."

Once Tomas scurried away, I couldn't hold myself up anymore. My knees gave out and Cassian picked me up. I closed my eyes, letting him carry me into our room. I buried my face in his shirt, breathing in his clean scent. Amber, leather, pine, and smoke all mixed into one. It healed my fractured soul. 

"I'm okay," I whispered as he set me down and I kept myself standing. I wouldn't let him break me. I wasn't that girl anymore. I wasn't the defenseless girl he had ruined so many years ago.

I sat down on the bed, trying to reign in my emotions. Cassian shut the door as my heart continued to pound, flashes of that night hitting me over and over again. Tomas was here, in this same house where it had all happened.

I let out a slow breath and the bed dipped down beside me. I opened my eyes and there he was. This stranger who had somehow become a comfort I sought this weekend. It was like he knew me better than anyone else here.

My hands were shaking and Cassian grabbed them. He held them gently between his, "hey you sure you're okay? He didn't hurt you?"

I shook my head, "no. He just wanted to scare me," I brought my eyes up to his, "you got there in time. Thanks Cassian."