~19~

Lillian's skin still tingled with Agatha's warmth as she descended into the cave. She could only see a sparing pinch of sunlight above, the promise of a safe return waning with every step she took downward.

They were hardly steps anymore. She had been reduced to scooting along down the stone trap of the monster's lair. The sword Agatha had given her glinted silver in the remainder of the daylight. The ebony stones on the hilt matched the color of her eyes. Lillian missed them already, the gentle warmth they brought to her. She wished Agatha had accompanied her here. Then, maybe she wouldn't feel such a paralyzing dread.

The cave grew colder as she descended, seeming to push her back up with its icy hands.The stone beneath her scratched her legs, catching on her pants.

Finally, the daylight disappeared. Lillian found herself in an abysmal cage of darkness, the way down just as unintelligible as the way up. "Agatha?" Lillian called, feeling her first true pang of fear. There was no response.

She turned around and continued. Though she couldn't see anything, she could feel the cave changing. The floor leveled out, inviting her to stand and walk once more. The air embraced her, chilly and damp. Along the walls, she felt a sickeningly furry texture, perhaps moss or mildew. But, without sight on her side, she dared on use the wall to navigate. They felt too poisonous, too daunting. She stumbled along blindly instead

Lillian was just about to turn the next corner when a terrifying sound froze her in her tracks. It was the sound of falling rocks from the cave entrance, the sound of tearing fabric. "Agatha!" she screamed, imagining her friend lying at the bottom of the shaft, broken as a bird fallen from the nest.

"Lilli? Is that you?" The voice was deep, smooth. It settled the bubbling dread in her stomach for a second.

Then she realized what this meant. "Gabriel!" she shouted. "What are doing here? Go back, go back!"

She could hear his footsteps echoing wildly through the cave walls as he scrambled to catch up with her. In the complete darkness, she waited for him. Her heart felt strained, the seams unraveling. A moment later, a cool hand brushed over her arm. Then he pulled her to him, refusing to let go when she struggled. "I was so afraid, Lillian," he muttered. "I thought you had died."

"I haven't died," she said, thinking, yet. "But you will if you stay down here. Turn back, Gabe. You're too weak right now."

Gabriel locked his fingers around hers, already advancing toward the next turn in the cavern. "I have no idea what this is or what you're doing, my love, but you cannot do it alone."

Lillian had no choice but to follow him. He ignored her pleas for him to turn back and after a few minutes, she gave up on them. There was no sneaking past Gabriel's stubbornness, especially when it applied to the safety of others.

Part of her was glad to have him there. The selfish part. She felt less sick now, having a hand to hold and another human outline to follow. She also felt more confident that they would leave here alive. She knew how to use a sword, but Gabriel was the one who taught her. If anyone could slay a monster, it would be him.

Then she remembered: if he was the one to slaughter the beast, everything Lillian had worked for would be for naught. He would die and she would be alone with her guilt and loneliness for the rest of her life. "Gabriel, darling," she said, matching her stride with his.

He put an arm around her waist. "Yes, love?"

"Do you know why we are down here, Gabriel?"

"No."

"Well, the truth is, there is a horrible monster at the end of this cave and I must slay it."

Gabriel looked at her but, seeing nothing but darkness turned forward again. "A monster, you say? Well, I'm glad I came along, then."

"But, you see, darling," said Lillian, trying not to let the words come out too fast. If she told Gabriel the truth: whoever slaid the beast would become the afflicted one, then he would never let her do it. Rather, she needed a simple little lie to take its place. "I must slay the monster myself. I see it as a chance to prove myself, not only to you but to my own doubting spirit. So I would appreciate ever so much if you would let me have it for my own."

Gabriel's grip on her waist tightened. He fingered the fabric of her shirt, seeming unsure. "Darling, you mustn't put yourself in danger's way with no better reason than to prove yourself. I already believe in you. The way I see it, you haven't a thing to prove."

"Please, Gabe."

He sighed. "Well, I suppose, if it will make you feel better, go right ahead. But I will be right here for you, my love. The moment I see you wounded, I'll take the beast myself."

Lillian wondered if he could feel her shoulders tensing against his. She had made this a thousand times more difficult for herself now, hadn't she? Not only did she need to slay the beast, but she had to do so and come away unscathed.

Before she could respond, Gabriel pushed her against the furry wall behind them. Lillian tried to ignore the way the wetness of the wall felt alive. She concentrated on his lips, on the tender kiss he laid on hers. "I believe in you," he murmured.

Lillian was just about to close her eyes when suddenly, the wall threw her forward and the world went dark.