~16~

Agatha knew something, of course. What she knew, Lillian couldn't say. But there was something in that whirring, beautiful mind of hers that could help her and she wanted to know what it was.

So the next time she summoned the shimmering woman, she made sure to have the maps laid out in front of them on the desk. Gabriel was above deck, getting some air. She had no doubt that he would fall asleep there and forget to come back down.

Slowly as water evaporating, Agatha appeared. She looked lovely today, her long, raven hair loose over her bare shoulders. She wore a white dress, splashed with color on the sash which reminded Lillian of a soft, bruising sunset. Her arms were laden with bracelets, or at least, they looked like bracelets at first.

Agatha raised her heavy wrist in greeting. "We meet again, my dear," she said. She let her arm drop back to her side, wincing.

It pained Lillian to see such a mystical being in such agony. She realized the bracelets were in fact chains. "Agatha, what are these?" she demanded. She began to lift one, but jumped back with a scream. Her fingertips were now ashy with her new burn, smarting with pain. "You poor creature," she said. "Who has done this to you?"

The woman heaved a long sigh, lowering herself onto Lillian's bed. "They are my punishment, Darling."

"Punishment? For what?"

"For you." Agatha lifted one chain away from her skin, showing Lillian the charred skin beneath it.

Lillian gasped in horror, throwing herself onto the bed beside her. "For me? Why? What have I done?"

"Oh, I shouldn't have said," Agatha sighed. She lifted up her hand, careful not to burn Lillian, and stroked her face. "It isn't anything to worry over, my love."

"It certainly is!" Lillian exclaimed. "Here you are, burning your skin off, and all because of me. You have to tell me, Agatha. Tell me what I've done to you."

Agatha looked away, her profile glowing in the moonlight. Captivated by the pearly image of her, Lillian found herself leaning forward to kiss her along that perfect, opalescent jaw. Agatha's skin felt airy and pleasantly cool under her lips. The woman closed her eyes, moaning with pleasure. "Don't stop," she begged. "Distract me from the pain."

Lillian pulled away from her, trying not to see the tears swooping down her face like birds diving toward the ground. She clenched her teeth together, breathing hard. "Agatha, you must tell me who's done this to you. Why they're doing it. I don't want you to be hurt."

Agatha's face flushed, a lovely rose rising to her cheeks. "I cannot tell you, or you will forbid me to come back."

"Oh, I would never do that," said Lillian.

Looking down at her hands, the woman asked, "Why would you care, anyway? You hardly know me."

"That may be true. But I feel as though you know me."

Agatha pursed her lips, looking behind her at the maps Lillian had spread over the mattress. "You wanted help, didn't you?"

"I don't need you to help me," She lied. "I only want you to be safe."

"You are such a sweet girl, Lillian," said Agatha. She put her hand around the cuff on her forearm, wincing in pain as the metal burned her. "But I'm afraid the pain is too much. I must go now."

Lillian grabbed the sash around Agatha's waist, trying to keep her from leaving, but the woman had already begun to dissipate. "Wait!" she cried. "Come back!"

Agatha only gave a small, regretful smile and vanished.