The Girl that Goes Missing

Start from the beginning

I nod my head at Rick in goodbye before spinning on my heel and marching out of the garage. That goodbye is frankly more than he deserves.

Niall is quick behind me, eyes astonished as he gestures back to the garage, "How could you just let him do that, Haz?"

"Because one more minute in there with him and I would've been knocking his teeth back into his gums."

I don't add that I also don't like being away from Layla for long. And I don't dare mention the foreboding feeling swishing around in my gut like bad lunch.

That definitely screams obsessive boyfriend, and maybe I have become a bit obsessive. But, only because I am constantly on edge –waiting for Layla's psycho ex to make an appearance and desperately trying to keep her safe in the meantime.

Though, they don't know that. They don't need to.

Niall chuckles next to me, eyes glazed over slightly, "Man, I would've liked to see that."

I also would love to hold onto that fascination, but I really just want to hurry back to the apartment to see Layla. Even if she claims that she is fine, I know that she is scared to be alone for too long –the threat of Louis showing up too tangible for comfort.

And the image I suddenly conjured up of her a few minutes ago definitely didn't instill any confidence of her safety in me.

I check my phone absently and see a text waiting for me from, 'Red.' I scramble to open it, nearly walking headfirst into a pole in my haste.

Red: Looking at houses with Eliza today. She just sent me an address that's way out in the counrty! Somewherd on Harper's Ave! If they move there and stapt wearing cowboy boots we'll have to find new frinds! LOL. I'll txt you whem I'm heading home. Love you xx.

The tender smile that slides up my lips is one I have been wearing a lot lately. Her trouble typing on her dinosaur flip-phone is as endearing as it is frustrating, but knowing that she is safe with Eliza does ebb my fears slightly.

The feeling in my stomach doesn't necessarily go away and the vision of her terrified face doesn't go away, but it's easier to ignore now that I know she is safe.

The text was sent almost right after I left her in the apartment, a little under an hour ago, but I shoot her a quick reply asking her not to be home too late and pleading with her to tease Eliza a bit for her choice in location before stuffing my phone away, much more relaxed than before.

"So," I turn to Niall, a mischievous grin on my face, "You going to start chewing tobacco and listening to Keith Urban?"

Niall whips around to face me, nearly tripping over the cobblestone, "What? Who?"

"Layla is out with Eliza looking for your dream home down on Harper's Ave."

Niall does a double-take, expression mixed with slight horror and a lot of disgust. He stops dead on the street, throwing his hands up in the air in frustration.

"That woman is going to give me a heart attack! She hasn't mentioned anything to me about it at all," He starts shaking his head and mumbling to himself about all the reasons he can't live that far from civilization, ending with a horror-struck, "What if they don't have Wi-Fi? Harry, what if they don't have Wi-Fi?"

He nearly yells -the idea itself stirring up a lot of suppressed fear and anxiety- gripping the collar of my button down and pulling me to him in desperation, even though I am nearly half a foot taller than him.

I don't bother hiding my amusement, pulling his hands off me and laughing in his face, "I'm sure you'll be fine –humanity survived for centuries without it. Whatever makes the misses happy."