The Boy that Forgets

It's forgotten.

Two words. Two simple words scrawled in pink chalk hastily not seen until hours later. Two words I have been repeating in my head over and over. Two words that I wanted nothing more than two hear just two weeks ago.

Or so I thought.

Because now –now that I am wiping down the counters and listening to Harry tell some story about when they first moved in and acting completely normal and indifferent –like he didn't kiss my face off just a few weeks ago –I feel a bit... disheartened.

It's definitely not what I planned.

"Betsy still doesn't trust us after we turned your old apartment into our stoner lounge." Harry laughs, glancing at me and then shifting his eyes away just as quickly.

I attempt a smile.

Eliza shakes her head in mock shame, a smile on her lips, "Well if she still trusted you guys after that she definitely stopped after The Incident."

As soon as The Incident is brought up both Harry and Niall clam up and shift in their seats uncomfortably before Niall finally speaks up in disdain and embarrassment.

"We swore to never speak of that again. We swore!"

His slight panic and emphasis only makes Eliza laugh harder as she leans over to pinch her boyfriend's cheeks and my eyes fall to Harry who is staring at some spot behind me –a far-off look in his eyes.

The hands that were gripping my hips with such gentle fervor now trace designs in the foam of his cappuccino –not his usual order- the lips that were exploring my own with a soft determination and underlying passion are caught between his teeth, and the eyes that seemed to glow a dark emerald that night are dazed –this time, unfocused and not heated with passion and-

And I feel my skin growing hot and my hands trembling and I really need to stop thinking about that hill, that night, that kiss because of Him and Jaime and me and It's Forgotten.

And it needs to stay forgotten.

So, with a clear of my throat I finally speak, "What is this Incident that I've been hearing about? Are you guys ever going to tell me?"

Harry's eyes clear and snap back to my own, though I look away again, and Niall visibly pales. Eliza can barely contain her laughter at their ashamed and ashen expressions.

I've heard about The Incident quite a few times in the months that I have been staying here, though no one has ever elaborated or clued me in to whatever has caused our landlord to be weary of the two boys in front of me.

From what I've gathered though –it was apparently very, very bad.

"Listen, Encyclopedia, this is one story you will never learn," Niall's voice rings with finality before he hops off the stool and turns to face us, "Now, I will take this as my convenient opportunity to head to work."

Eliza leans over the counter to leave a quick peck on his lips and I glance away to give them their privacy, only to lock eyes with blazing emeralds already trained on me.

Except this time they aren't unfocused and he doesn't glance away –no they are crystal clear and staring straight into mine with such intensity that I couldn't look away if I wanted to. The glance –though only a few seconds long- is full of the words we swore to forget and so heavy that it makes my heart skip and I almost instantly cast my eyes down to my dusty Chuck Taylors.

Forgotten, my ass.

But it's clear that it does need to be forgotten because every time I remember that night I think about the way he looked at me, the way he touched me, the way he kissed me and spoke to me and drew me and sat with me and my heart races and my stomach churns and all I can think is Harry, Harry, Harry and that maybe, just maybe I can leave my past behind me.