Chapter 17 - A Melody in the Night

"Why are you here?" Sally asked, taking another cautious step forward.
The odd man named Laughing Jack continued to smile. "I know when a child is very sad, and so I come to cheer them up."
Sally was about to ask something, but then they both heard footsteps running down the hall and to the doorway of the room. Sally looked back to see Eyeless Jack.
The girl looked back and forth between the two, and they seem to be glaring at each other over her head.
"What are you doing here?" Eyeless Jack was the first to speak up.
"What are you doing here?" Laughing Jack questioned, smiling darkly.
Eyeless Jack reached into the pocket of his black hood and grabbed the handle of his knife, but didn't pull it out. Yet.
"Leave," he said. His voice had a hard, icy edge to it, which made Sally bite her lip nervously.
"Why should I?" Laughing Jack asked, tilting his head, but chuckled a high-pitched laugh. "I'm only here to help those in need, and Little Miss Sally here obviously needs some comfort."
"She's not going to get any comfort from you. Touch her, and Slender will hunt you down and give you a fate worse than you've ever given to any of your victims."
The melody from the box abruptly stopped playing, leaving the room in heavy silence.
The air is suffocatingly tense and Sally wants to leave, but if she did, what would they do? Would they try to kill each other?
Sally suddenly became protective at that thought. She knows Eyeless Jack better than Laughing Jack, so of course she knows who she would side with.
She looked at Laughing Jack and his gaze met hers. She gave him her best glare, telling him through her eyes that he should go away.
He immediately understood what she's trying to tell him and only smiled wider, showing more pure white sharp teeth, then he took a step towards her.
Sally tensed up and Eyeless Jack moved closer to her, now pulling out his weapon to defend her if needed, but that didn't stop Laughing Jack.
He didn't hesitate as he stood over her, looking down at her with his icy blue eyes as he smiled. She glared up at him in a silent warning, but then he held his long arms out, holding the toy music box out to her.
Her eyes averted to it, and she felt confused. Is he giving it to her?
"I'm sure you miss having toys, don't you, little Sally?" Laughing Jack asked and she met his gaze again.
Hesitantly, she raised her hands and then took the small box. Laughing Jack released his hold so the box was left in Sally's small, bloodied hands.
"Let's play next time we meet, Sally." Laughing Jack said, still smiling at her. "See you then, playmate."
Sally blinked in surprise, but once her eyes reopened, Laughing Jack was no longer there. Her eyes darted around the room, peering into the shadows, but it's obvious that he had vanished.
Then she looked down at the colorful box sitting in her hands, unsure of what to think. Should she be cautious about this toy?
She felt a hand on her shoulder and she jerked a bit in response to the touch, and she looked up to see that it's Eyeless Jack.
"Let me see that," he said and she willingly handed the box to him. He examined it, turning it around in his hands, but nothing happened.
Jack stared at it for the longest of moments, but then, with a sigh, he handed it back to her.
"Keep that thing in sight. Let's get back downstairs," he told her, his tone hard.
Sally didn't question it. She glanced back towards where Laughing Jack had stood before he disappeared, but then she turned and left the room after Eyeless Jack.
Once downstairs, Ben saw the box in Sally's hands.
"You've met Laughing Jack," he said, lifting an eyebrow. "I didn't think he'd come after you so soon."
Sally didn't respond, walking quickly over to the couch and with her free hand, she picked up her knife and sat down.
The news is still on, and it's live, too. The video is recorded from a helicopter, which flew over of a neighborhood. This exact neighborhood, to be precise. They can all hear the commotion just outside, but they know that none of them will have any reason to enter this specific house.
There are countless police cars and many flashlights. There's an abundant amount dead bodies of cops and even some citizens littering the streets.
"Damn, Jeff is on a rampage." Hoodie commented, leaning forward on the couch and setting his elbows on his knees as he watched the news.
"We lost sight of him!"
"Keep looking, he shouldn't have gone far."
The scene changed to a camera that is on a helmet of an officer, running along the streets along with a few other cops with guns in hand.
They ran past many bodies, and they look around to see that they're the only few cops left in the area.
"Nice bloodbath," Ben complimented under his breath.
Then they heard the back door slam open, and in walked Jeff.
He's breathing heavily, the front of his hoodie soaked in blood and his face is splattered with the crimson liquid. Blood dripped off of his knife and he left a bit of a blood trail as he walked into the living room.
"That was good," Jeff muttered under his breath.
"We can't find Jeff."
"He got away. Again. Dammit!"
"Come on back to the station, boys. We'll get 'im one of these days."
Jeff snorted and slumped onto the couch, sitting between Hoodie and Sally.
"They haven't caught me yet," he grumbled.
"Well, we can see that." Masky said in a 'duh' tone.
"Idiot, you could've led them here!" Ben hissed.
"Shut up and stop worrying. None of them could find me before I came here," Jeff said with an exhausted and slightly irritated tone.
"With all of that blood you have on you, I wouldn't be surprised if you made a path straight towards your house," Eyeless Jack muttered.
"I said shut up."
The screen changed to a woman with a microphone standing in front of the camera.
"As you can see, Jeff the Killer is at it again, but we have evidence that tells us that he is not the only one who took part in this mass murder. These kills are becoming more and more frequent, and this killer gang is dangerously active active. Just what exactly is happening? More at 1:00."
Ben sighed and he shut the television off without even using the remote, leaving the room in darkness and silence
It was silent for a little while, nothing but the sounds of sirens in the distance.
Sally heard Jeff sigh heavily and she felt the weight of the couch shift as Jeff stood.
"Alright, when the hell are you all going to leave my house?" He growled, as if now remembering that they're all still there.
Sally's shoulders slumped. She had forgotten that she can't stay here. She plans on going back to her house, but are the police still there? Is the crime cleared up? She hoped the FBI are more worried about the other 'strange events' happening around the city and left her house alone.
But then she'll be living there, all by herself. Nothing but her memories and anger to keep her company.
Sally heard a sigh, no doubt from Jack.
There was a sound of a window sliding open, and then a soft thud, telling her he jumped out of a window.
"Alright, later." Ben said with a shrug, "Keep the games and the console here. I'll be back for them."
Jeff growled under his breath. "Fine, just go."
Ben stood up and pressed his hand to the TV, and no less than a second later, he was sucked into it, and he was gone.
Hoodie and Masky stood up, Masky having a bit of trouble with the wound on his leg, but then they both glanced at Sally, knowing she doesn't really have a place to stay.
"Hold up, Jeff." Masky spoke up, crossing his arms. "We need to have a little chat."
Jeff sighed heavily, which practically says he doesn't want to, but he'll cooperate anyway.
"Sally, go upstairs for a bit, this won't take long." Hoodie said softly and Sally nodded obediently, knowing that she doesn't want to be a part of whatever they're going to talk about.
She picked up the box and, with her knife once more in hand, headed up the stairs.
As she made it to the top, she can hear the three conversing. She can't make out the words, but Jeff's voice sounds irritated, and Hoodie and Masky sounds reasoning.
They're trying to convince Jeff of something, it sounds like. But what?
Are they trying to convince Jeff to let her stay? They don't have to, she can just go back to her house. It'll be much less trouble.
Although she'll feel lonely without the others, she knows she'll be fine.
Would she?
Sally walked into that same bedroom, which is still empty of any other being.
Then she started thinking. Who is Laughing Jack? What would he want with her? Why was he here?
Sally set the box that she was given and the knife on the messy bed. Again, she had to be careful not to step on the glass, which no one had bothered to clean up.
Well, Jeff doesn't exactly seem like the kind of guy to clean.
Sally stared at the musical box, and then she reached out to once again hold it in her hands.
The metal is cold in her hands. It's a colorful item, but there's no button, no lever...there's nothing that could have made the box play the melody.
It's small too, and very light. She wonders if there's anything in it at all. How could it have played music?
And why did Laughing Jack give this to her? What will it do?
"Let's play next time we meet, Sally."
She remembered what he had said. He was obviously implying something when he said that. Does he want to hurt her?
Her eyes glanced towards her knife.
Well, if he tries anything, she can defend herself. He's larger than she is, but with her newfound inhuman strength, she can fight him off and even kill him.
She's not scared of him, in fact, this could be interesting.
She kept staring at the little box as her thoughts evaded her mind. She's still trying to accept the fact that she's immortal, that she can't die and that physical attacks won't hurt her. Her young brain is still attempting to comprehend the plague of her seemingly endless fury, and the overwhelming despair of the loss of her father, and the remaining shock of murdering her uncle.
There's so many things that she can't understand yet, so therefore she doesn't try to think about it. However, it plows through her without her permission. She swallows hard to keep from crying again.
But then, out of nowhere, the music box began to play the melody.