PART THREE xvi ▷ the legend's awakening.

S I X T E E N

16. | the legend's awakening.
heroes always get remembered
but you know legends never die

steve.

MY HEAD pangs. Through the ringing in my ears, I hear the sound of a radio and the honking of car horns outside. My eyelids are heavy over my closed eyes, but I still force them open because I don't have a clue to where I am. I am greeted by a low natural light, like the morning sun shining through the windows. I take a deep breath as I survey the room.

It is quite small, like a hospital room. From my twin-sized bed, I stare up at the slowly rotating ceiling fan that continuously whirls around in a circle. The thin curtains are pulled to the sides of the window on the wall to my right, allowing the bright sunlight to shine across my bed, that and a small lamp on the nightstand being the only sources of light. Underneath it is a air conditioning unit that sends cool air through the room. Excluding the green paint of the walls, everything is either white or tan colored, like the sheets that are tucked in underneath me.

I start to move myself off the creaky bed, slowly and carefully swinging my legs over the side. As I look down at my feet, I notice that I'm no longer wearing my Captain America uniform — I have on an SSR white short sleeved shirt, tan pants, and brown boots, not exactly what a patient would be wearing.

I try to piece everything together. I was last on that Hydra plane, where Schmidt had died and the cube had fallen into the ocean after sinking right through the metal floor. I had gone to pilot when I connected the radio to the base I had left everyone at. I was speaking to Gen over it before I had hit the ice, about to tell her that I l—

Gen.

Where is she?

My heart hammers inside my chest as I glance over my shoulder at the radio. It rests on a small vanity table with a vase of white roses next to it. It is playing someone commentating a baseball game. It sounds awfully familiar, but I can't place my finger on it.....

I'm drawn out of my thoughts by the door quietly opening. There is a woman there. Not the one I was hoping for, but still someone. At first glance, she would look like a normal nurse you would pass in the compound in London, but then I take a closer look. Her hair is the first thing I notice. It is curled, but very loose and long. Not even Gen, who couldn't care any less of what people think of her, would have been caught dead with curls that loose. The brown tie she wears is a lot thicker and longer than the ones I've seen female soldiers around the compound wear, too. Then I see the outline of something around her chest under her shirt. I immediately take my eyes back to her hair, but I can't help but notice how odd it looks. I can see the bra that she's wearing, and it's like one I've never seen before. I know that all women around here have a specific wardrobe cut when it comes to that stuff, and this dame would certainly be shamed if they saw. That alone tells me something.

Something's not right here.

Her red lips give me a quick smile.

"Morning," she greets, shutting the door quietly behind her. She glances down at her watch, correcting herself as she steps towards me with her heels clicking behind her. "Or should I say afternoon."

"Where am I?" I ask in a deep and serious voice.

At just watching the nurse hesitate for a second makes me want to completely abandon this room and bolt to see where I am and what the hell is going on.