ii ▷ steven rogers.

T W O

02. | steven rogers.
new and old faces

genevieve.

I GROGGILY get out of bed at the sound of horns outside. Oh, how I've missed that sweet sound. Might not be the greatest wake up call, but it certainly keeps you awake.

I quickly throw on my dark green SSR uniform, buttoning up the golden buttons and adjusting my golden pins. I make sure that my hair looks semi-okay, swiftly fixing a few dark brunette curls. I stare at myself in the mirror, my piercing green eyes staring back. My normal light olive skin is oddly pale, just proving how much I've been inside recently. That is certainly going to change soon.

"You almost ready, Gen?" Peggy asks me sweetly from her worn vanity in the corner.

"Are you?" I inquire, turning to face her with a hand on my hip. She is shoving the cap of a red lipstick on to the small container, gently setting it on the vanity counter. She glances at me over her shoulder, a smile spreading across those red lips.

"Yes," she says.

We step out of our bunker together. The bright morning sun shines in my eyes, causing them to squint. Peggy strides quickly next to me, scanning the camp. Soldiers sprint across the dirt as commanders bark at them to catch up. I smile at the sight. My eyes stop at a few soldiers a little ways away from us. All tall, fit for war, except one. He seems like a good man, if only I could deduce his front. I spot Dr. Abraham Erskine and Colonel Phillips near them. Colonel yells, "roll call!" and they all line up in perfect formation. Dr. Erskine meets my gaze, quickly waving. His eyes crinkle from a smile underneath his round glasses.

"Hello, Doctor," I greet politely.

"Oh please," he laughs, his voice low in a whisper. "Call me Abraham, Genevieve. It has only taken you two years."

"Yes sir," I smile.

Abraham and Peggy greet each other as I say hello to Colonel.

"Edwards," Colonel Phillips grunts with the usual scowl on his face. "Nice seeing you again."

"And you, Colonel," I grin. Just as strict and sociopathic as I remember. How lovely.

"All right, soldiers," he calls after the usual speech. "It would be my honor to introduce you all to Doctor Genevieve Edwards."

"Ooo, he remembered!" I exclaim joyfully. I clasp my hands together, quickly taking a gander at the row of soldiers. Just being here has returned me to my happy-go-lucky self. "All right boys, I'm here to just quickly run an inspection on Dr. Erskine's behalf, so to make it easier for you all make sure that you are mentally prepared for the outcome." I sneer, stepping across the dirt in my brown boots. "Attention!" I shout at them. They all improve their posture, standing upright and putting their hands by their sides and putting their heels together.

All except one.

It's one smug soldier that hunches down in a comfortable state, staring up at the sky and whistling. God, this has to be the Hodge kid.

"Uh, kid," I say, "attention."

"Hm?" he asks. "Oh, yes, ma'am."

"Doctor," I correct. "Or would you prefer Agent?"

He sets his jaw, rolling his eyes. His dark orbs scan me up and down, slowing at my chest and waist, but fully halting once they reach my shoes. "Not very ladylike, if you ask me," he scoffs. "Like those pants."