15.

shit is about to go down

warning: explicit language

She'd discovered Tyler's little secret on a Saturday

It had began Friday afternoon, with Mona shaking Charlie awake from her after-work nap with three tickets in one hand and brightly smiling.

"Hermana, Davo got these tickets for this local band and we're going!"

Charlie rolled over, reaching up to rub the sleep from her eyes. Local bands were always playing around campus, it wasn't anything special. So what was so special about this group? "What?"

"A show! It's these two guys apparently. The show is sold out." Mona shrugged and the bed dipped as she sat beside Charlie's legs. "Davo says they're pretty good. The only reason he got tickets was because he knows one of the guys."

"Why can't you just go with him? I have to work a double tomorrow."

Mona simply tossed her hair over her shoulder. "No way. You've been working way too much lately and you need a break. Maybe get drunk a little."

Though the idea of getting a little buzzed sounded appealing, her brother's text was still at the forefront of her mind. "I really have to work. Besides, I don't want to be your third-wheel with your new boyfriend."

Mona sighed and Charlie caught her whisper, "He's not my boyfriend" before she continued with, "What if I told you Tyler would be there?"

She hated to admit that the thought of going sounded much more attractive.

Mona took her silence as an acceptance. "Buenos! Be ready by eight." Just before Mona stepped out of their dorm, most likely going to talk to Davo, she spun around and pointed an accusing finger at Charlie. "And dress nice. Maybe you'll catch someone's eye." With a wink and an obnoxious laugh, Mona disappeared — just like Tyler had so many times before.

When she arrived to the venue with Mona and Davo (Mona's dark-skinned, blue-eyed new toy), the building appeared to already be filled to the absolute brim. Many bodies were already surrounding the stage, each and every body pressed flushed against another.

Charlie didn't do crowds.

"I need a beer."

"They should be coming on in a few minutes," Davo yelled over the crowd, pointing a thumb behind him and towards the stage. "I'm gonna go see if I can talk to Josh." Mona followed, claiming she wanted to speak with Davo's friend as well and left Charlie pushing her way towards the bar.

The atmosphere was, well, different. Many shows she'd attended were usually filled with angry, drunk adults, but many faces she'd seen so far looked barely old enough to drive a car.