09.

two updates in two days? you bet your ass

A tiny bundle tucked in the corner of the room whimpered, tears streaming down her cheeks and her chest rising with little, silent hiccups

A tiny bundle tucked in the corner of the room whimpered, tears streaming down her cheeks and her chest rising with little, silent hiccups. Be quiet! She reminded herself, well-aware of the consequences if she interrupted those who sat outside.

She brushed tiny, chubby fingers over her wrist, where a furious red, burn mark throbbed painfully. She sniffed and tugged the sleeve of her ripped sweater over the mark. She'd have to remember to keep it covered at school. She couldn't imagine his anger if he got another call from her teacher.

A bark of laughter echoed through the house. She recoiled, pushing herself further into the corner in fear. She then brought her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around them, it being the only thing that brought her some type of comfort.

As she began swaying, she fell into a nightmare-filled sleep.

"Charlie!" She wrenched her eyes open, instinctively kicking her arms out in an attempt to protect herself. "Stop, Charlie! Stop!" Warm hands suddenly held her chin, forcing her to still her efforts. Chocolate-brown eyes appeared amidst the blur, just as the warmth spread through her as he rubbed delicate circles into her skin. "It's me, it's Tyler."

She released a heavy breath, tears immediately beginning to spill past her eyes once more. "Tyler," she breathed, not wasting a moment to burrow her way into his chest. He took it in stride, his arms brushing down her arms as he adjusted her legs so they were around his waist. He then curled his arms around her waist, rubbing smooth circles into her lower back. She tucked her face into the crook of his shoulder, both unaware of the intimate position they had fallen into.

"It's okay," he murmured into her hair, chasing away every one of her fears one by one. He felt the cool touch of her tears against his skin and the pinch in his back as her blunt fingernails left behind tiny, crescent marks.

As if he'd known her for years, he began to gently rock her. He didn't miss the way she relaxed with each sway and how her breath became less ragged with each minute that passed.

She was numb. No, her mind was numb. Unlike the void that had erupted in her mind and stole any rational thought, her body reacted with each brush of Tyler's fingers.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, comfortable with her cheek against his shoulder and his soothing
warmth surrounding her. "I don't— You— You shouldn't have seen this."

He never paused in his drawings along her back. "Don't apologize."

She lifted her eyes, admiring the line of his jaw and the faint shadow of hair along it. She knew neither of them should be in this position— she couldn't find it in her to care. "Were you busy?" Of course he was busy. That's why he hadn't brought Dakota to the shelter.

A breath of laughter vibrated from his chest. "That doesn't matter."

She grudgingly pulled away to meet his soft gaze. "Ty—,"

Tyler shook his head. "No, Char. Stop. That doesn't matter." She blinked, her eyes brimming with fresh tears in regret. He'd been with his friends and she had ruined it for him.

He tucked a slim finger under her chin and forced her to meet his gaze once more. "You're more important."

She slowly shook her head. "No I'm not." She pulled away from him completely, returning to her spot against her bedpost. "You barely know me," she whispered. She brought her knees to her chest, wiping away the wetness at her cheeks.

Tyler sighed and kept his distance. "I know." As their eyes met, he offered a faint, tight-lipped smile. Charlie yearned for one of his rare, bright smiles. "That doesn't mean you aren't important to me though." His tone was soft and slow, something that calmed the anxiety building in Charlie's veins. "It just means the more I get to know you, the more important you'll become."

Charlie didn't say anything. She watched him instead. She watched the way his thin fingers fiddled with her sheets, how one foot never ceased to stop moving and how his gaze never once wavered from hers. Tyler wasn't perfect. No, he was far from perfect.

She couldn't care less.

She leaped from her spot and kissed him. It wasn't a perfect kiss, hell, it was a sloppy kiss. Their noses bumped and their foreheads may have touched a little too fast but it didn't matter. She lifted a hand to cradle his jaw and she was faintly aware of his warm hands at the hem of her shirt but that was okay.

Because oh god, after weeks of pining, she was finally doing it. She was finally kissing him.

It was everything and more.

There was a sweep of his tongue against her bottom lip before he suddenly pulled away, leaving her with the faint taste of Redbull. Her eyes flickered to his lips and she wanted nothing but to kiss him again. And then again and again.

"Charlie," he breathed, the sound alone sending waves of pleasure down her spine. "I don't think this is the right time for this." She opened her mouth to reply, but he placed a finger over her lips to quiet her. "No, just listen for a second. I don't know what happened and I don't need to know. I just know that I like you and I don't want this to happen because you're sad."

"I want you to be there at every one of my games. I want to go on lunch dates and be here for you if this happens again." He paused, his thumb rubbing circles into her jaw. "I don't just want to be the guy who brings his cousin to your job once a week."

More tears spilled over her eyes, though they were produced by a different emotion.

Damn it, she was happy.

"It's not my job."

Then she kissed him again, until his lips were pink.

cheers!

cheers!