Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

And where was Kyler? He was supposed to have attacked Jack by now, right? Maybe that's what was going on. Kyler was waiting to get Jack alone. I could only hope that was so as Ash led me through several corridors and up some stairs until I found myself in the room that looked out over the lab.

The glass window was thick and covered an entire side of the wall from floor to ceiling. The rest of the room was an expensive black glass desk and a black leather chair sitting across from a computer and several file folders.

"Jack will be with you in a moment." Ash said, then shut the door behind me and locked it. I snapped my head around, glaring, before I hesitantly went to the window. Peering down, I saw that the surgery area had been cleaned of blood. Thank the Goddess. The pups were gone, which hopefully meant they were safe in the nursery.

The other creatures in the cages below just sat around, slept, or paced. They were just experiments, nothing more. To Jack anyway. My chest ached to see them there, but I could faintly hear Jack in my head telling me that not all of them thought of this existence as miserable.

Ash had to be a perfect example.

He wasn't human.

But he wasn't a were either.

The door opened and I turned around to see Jack walk in, freshly changed into a black silk Italian suit with the white shirt underneath unbuttoned. He smiled in greeting to me, but it was a tight smile that had me on my toes.

Something really was wrong.

"Well," Jack started, clicking on a few things on his computer before picking up the file folders, "I called you here to assure you that Zaid should be fine. It was miracle. The only surviving wolf in my care. I'm feeling rather accomplished. I was feeling simply fantastic. I actually thought this was going to go smoothly... For me. For some reason, though, it was going far too smoothly with you."

"Excuse me?" I demanded, alert as Jack thumbed through the files, then set them down to sit on the corner of his desk.

"You didn't put up as big a fight as I thought you would when I taunted you about Zaid hating your pups, nor when I made you leave me alone with your precious children. How... intriguing. I thought. I figured your relationship with Zaid was... difficult. Oh, here I am, babbling on and on when I can cut right to the chase," Jack smirked, then glanced toward the door, "Ash, if you'd be so kind as to bring in our guest."

Oh no.

My stomach sank into a pit as Ash threw open the door, dragging Kyler in behind him. I felt my inside clench tightly and I ground my teeth together, fists balled up as Ash threw Kyler into the middle of the room.

Kyler was wearing the black suit again, but this time, it had some accessories. A black leather blindfold was strapped tightly around his head, covering only his eyes and contrasting sharply with his white-blonde hair. A metal buckled, cage-looking thing was keeping his arms strung back behind him painfully. His feet were bare and dirty like he'd run as hard as he could to escape. He was breathing hard, stumbling to catch his balance.

Shit, Kyler.

"So, as I was saying, it was supposed to be going smoothly for me, not you. I also didn't think you were stupid enough to put Zaid's life in my hands without having a Plan B. After all, I always have a Plan B. And unfortunately for you, I also have a Plan C, while you do not." Jack stated, pushing off the desk and gesturing for Ash to step back. Ash obeyed, but the filthy smirk on his face told me he was going to enjoy this.

Jack walked over, threading his fingers gently through Kyler's hair before gripping it tightly, jerking the leopard's head back. Kyler hissed at him, flashing his fangs dangerously close to Jack's wrist, but Jack jerked his hair again. Kyler squeaked and gritted his teeth.