Chapter Five

Chapter Five (Zaid's POV)

Snap.

My eyes flew open immediately at the sound of a twig snapping. I found myself staring at a squirrel that had been nibbling on an acorn, until it saw that I was awake. It squeaked and dropped its meal, darting to the nearest tree, racing up and bolting into its nest.

I blinked a couple of times, wondering for a split second how the hell I got into the middle of the forest in the first place when last night came rushing back to me like a tidal wave. My whole body went rigid, especially when I felt a hot breath on the back of my neck.

Scythe was spooned against me, his arm draped over my torso and holding me against him tightly. I tilted my head back a little to see his eyes closed, his dark lashes contrasting against his skin. His dark hair was tousled and a dead leaf was stuck in it near his ear. A smudge of dirt on his cheek finished off his I just slept in the woods look.

I was almost horrified to think what I looked like. Probably a train wreck, I figured with a grimace. I slowly sat up, careful not to wake Scythe, who seemed too deep in sleep to wake up. His arm just slid into my lap, making me blush as I carefully moved it. I rubbed my temple, grimacing as I brushed a smear of dirt off the side of my face.

I gazed tiredly up at the sky, watching wisps of white clouds streak the blindingly bright blue sky. The position of the sun told me it was almost eight or nine in the morning. It was warm on my bare skin, which felt nice compared to the cold, hard ground. I shifted a little, kicking leaves and dirt away from me.

I ran a hand through my hair to shake the leaves away when I head another snap.

My eyes flashed and I jerked my head up, scanning the trees. I held my breath, listening intently as I kept a close watch on the trees. The only sounds now were the morning creatures. A dove cooed gently, a mockingbird mimicking its calls, a cricket chirping somewhere nearby.

I couldn't shake the feeling someone was watching. It was a hair raising sensation that made me shiver. I started to rise to my feet when I felt a hand clamp on my wrist and jerk me down.

I gasped, tripping over Scythe's waist before I hit the ground, wincing as Scythe rolled over on top of me, grinning.

"Morning, gorgeous." He greeted. I felt my face grow hot as I scowled.

"Is that how you greet me? My ass is killing me." I scolded. Scythe actually pouted at me, pushing out his lower lip childishly before he grinned again.

"I'm sorry, dollface... How about I treat you to some breakfast?" He asked, gesturing in a way that said he meant hunting. I opened my mouth to agree with him, when it hit me what he was asking. My eyes widened as I stared up at him.

"We can't. I have to go." I stated. Scythe's grin fell away.

"What'd you mean?"

"Scythe, we can't hunt together. We'll get caught, be it you in my territory or me in your territory. It's too dangerous."

"So was the sex we had last night. You have any idea how loud you are when you orgasm? Oh, Scythe! Oh!" Scythe mocked, gasping and moaning in exaggeration. I felt my whole body catch fire with embarrassment as I slid my hands over myself, turning my face away from him.

"I never said that!"

"You did to! Oh, but what I wouldn't give to hear you say my name again. God, I think that's all you had to do before I came-"

"What do you study? The Kama Sutra?"

"Actually, I did look it up once-"

"Ugh, no. We're not even about to debate that. Look, I'm already going to get fried over this if I don't get to my room before... Oh God." I stopped, feeling my blood freeze in my veins. Scythe frowned.