Chapter 45. Decision.

Começar do início

Did I really sleep that long? Twelve hours. Holy moly. I shoot up from the bed and rush to get ready. As soon as I found a reasonable outfit, brushed my teeth, I stormed out of the room and opened the door to see Winnie standing in front of me, in a position to knock on the door. I gape at the way she's so formally dressed, as if she was going to some VIP event. Her thick blonde hair was wavy, the exact replica of those women in hair commercials. The green dress, gold dangly earrings, dark red lips, and the black heels. It's not Christmas, is it?

"Perfect timing! I was just about to check on you." She said, looking genuinely worried.

"Jet lag." I told her.

"I can tell. Anyways since you're here, I can finally show you my home!" Winnie squealed excitedly as she pulled me from the room outside into the hallway.

The smell of the air through the house was definitely of rich people, it literally screamed 'We're wealthy and we shower in gold bathtubs with infinity rose petals!' I never noticed it until now.

As Winnie showed me around, the sound of her black heels echoed through the grand room. It was gigantic, almost like a ballroom. The vast open space of the lounge compared to the small vintage couches was way out of proportion. The ceiling was decorated with what looked like pieces of glass. The beige curtains of the tall windows flowed towards us as the cool summer wind blew inside. Paintings of landscapes hung on the walls and the one above the fireplace was one of Winnie and her small family. The massive room was absolutely stunning.

"Did you hear me, Mia?"

"What?" I said completely unaware that I had zoned out from examining my exquisite environment.

She laughed at me, covering her mouth like rich, snobby people did. Winnie wasn't one to do such a thing but I guess money could change people. "I asked you if you wanted to meet Elliot."

Elliot was her four year old son. I never met him since my life had been so busily distracted with Zayn and work. Mostly Zayn.

Winnie did send me a few pictures of him and he looked a lot more like her husband than my sister.

"I'd love to." I replied. "Where is he?"

"I'll ask Ms. Jaqueline to go fetch him. He should be up from his nap since it's getting close to dinner time. Make yourself at home, Mia." She said before disappearing off into another room.

I awkwardly seated myself on one of the four sofas not sure if the fragile looking seats would sustain my weight. Seriously, each leg of the sofas were only an inch think.

***

The little blonde haired boy was definitely timid meeting me - a complete stranger. I was kind of saddened by the it too. He doesn't even know me, his own aunt, when we should be playing together, joking together. I mean, I was his only aunt. Wait. I forgot about his Dad's side of the family.

Hopefully I didn't come off too creepy, overly joyful and smiling like a complete idiot. I don't know what to do around him - or kids in general. The only time when I dealt with children was my wedding planning days and they found me to be very approachable.

Maybe it was my clothes that offended him. Elliot did look a tiny bit overdressed, just like his mother. He was wearing suspenders, and I mean who wears suspenders at his age? Even his black dress shoes were over the top. His outfit was the cutest thing I've seen a child wear - maybe I'm being biased because he's my nephew.

When Elliot left with their servant to prepare dinner, Winnie and I finally had some time to talk privately.

Nervousness started to set as we sat next to each other on one of her antique couches. I was anxious not knowing how to begin the conversation - and afraid that we might break the damn sofa.