Beating Gally (Minho)

And since I'm in a writing mood, here's another one

It was my first day, and my head hurt, let me tell you. It was dark, there were torches everywhere, lighting up the field, they had a huge stack of sticks. I could tell that I was different, thought differently then they did. I was curious, I wanted to know what everything was, how everything worked. I experimented with every job, quickly finding out that I was good at everything, as if I did all of these before.

It excited me, and I know that because I was grinning to myself, thinking about when I would remember my name, carry my weight out here. They called this place the Glade, and I think that suited this place, it was pretty. This place amazed me on so many levels, yet confused me on so many more. I was told that the runners had been running the maze for three years, and they were still here.

The maze, oh curiosity struck me when I thought of all the possibilities. I was told that the Keeper of the Runners, Minho had run a lot, maybe even all of the maze. But then my yearning to go into the maze nearly diminished when I heard of the creatures that run in the maze, Grievers they were called. Grievers struck my curiosity, how were they made? Where did they come from? What was W.C.K.D? The supplies that came up with me in that box, they were labeled with that, what did it mean? God, I wanted to know.

I wanted to know why we were sent up, memories erased. Was it a test? Did we deserve it? Did we see something that we shouldn't have? The questions were endless, and I think it's the same for a lot of people, but I don't know. It could be just me, but I had the feeling that it wasn't. They weren't going to tell me about the Grievers, but after my merciless persistence, they caved, showed me the door when it closed, watching me.

The Gladers were all laughing, dancing, having a good time. I didn't want to be a spoil sport, but I wanted to think, my mind was like an ocean, the thoughts swirling around my head all day. I am brought out of my trance when the leader, Alby hands me a torch. I hold the flickering flame stick in front of me as he lead me to the rather large pile of sticks. I glance at him as he brings me to a stop. "Throw it in, Greenie." Came shouts of encouragement, and I wasted no time throwing the stick into the pile, the pile going ablaze almost immediately, and I was engulfed in warmth.

I took a step away from it as the red-orange flames jumped out at me, taking a couple more as I didn't want to become tomorrow nights dinner, not on my first day. I hear shouts of enjoyment, and I jump as an arm was thrown over my shoulder, looking up to see Minho. "Oh, hi Minho." I murmur, as he sat us down behind a log, the fire behind our backs. He held a glass jar out to me, it filled with brown liquid. I take it as he says, "Drink up, newbie."

I lift it to my lips, taking a sip of it, swallowing the weird substance. I move the jar from my lips as he looks at me with raised eyebrows. "Most people spit it on the round, cough their lungs out." He observes as I take another sip, getting used to the taste a little more on my third. "But not me, I think it doesn't taste all that bad, a little weird is all."

I say, taking a fourth sip, the drink becoming a little more enjoyable, then hand it back to him. "Gotta get me some of that." I mutter, and he laughs at me, throwing his head back. "This place, the glade, its got two sides to it, yes?" I ask, and he nods, not knowing where I was going with this. "Beauty, " I pause a moment, my eyes drifting toward the maze. "And beast."

A little while later, after Minho and I talked about the glade for a while, my interest peaked in a little activity that Gally was putting on. Shoving gladers from a circle, and I gravitated toward them, Gally's eyes meeting my own with a smirk as I arrive. "Come on in greenie, lets see what you're made of."

There were shouts of encouragement as I step into the sand circle, eyebrows pulled together as the rest o the gladers joined. ''How do I play?" I ask, and Gally looks at me. "Stand in the circle, try to last more than five seconds." And with that, he charged at me.

I was surprised, so I didn't have time to react, being shoved into the wall of gladers, who shoved me back in, me stumbling a moment before catching my balance. I narrow my eyes at him, standing my ground as he approached. I ducked his arms, sticking my foot out and making him trip, him standing up angrily.

He whirls on me, charging again. I let my body do the work, running at him as well, but slide under him, in between his legs and to the other side of him as he stopped. He turned around, a little red now as I stood back up, not bothering to brush my clothes free of sand. The others looked at me in shock as  swiftly dodged him again, pushing on his back with a lot of strength, watching as he stumbles into the wall of gladers, falling on his arse outside the circle as I grinned proudly.

I heard someone come up behind me, so I turn around to look at them, and catch a glimpse of Minho's face before I am shoved forward, into him. I was unable to regain my balance as he caught me, looping his strong arms around my waist but he was caught by surprise, so he ended up falling backward onto the ground, me on top of him.

He grunted as we hit the ground, and I wince. "Are you alright?" He asks me, and I nod, looking down at him apologetically. "Are you?" I ask in return, and he grins at me. "Of course  I am." He responds, before looking at me with a grin. "I didn't know you could do that." He says. "I didn't know I could either." I breathe.