Chapter 19

I threw open the door to the bathroom, and stormed outside into the hallway. Matt collapsed in a ball on the floor and put his head in his hands. His shoulders shook as he cried his eyes out, and I felt like dying. I ran away before I could see more.

My Nfinity's clicked on the linoleum as I ran down the hallway towards the exit of the gym. The bright red "EXIT" sign flashed before me, and I shoved it open. Bright sunlight flooded my eyes as I was let into the parking lot. Cars streamed by on the busy roads, birds fluttered in the air, and everything was peaceful.

Except for me.

I sat down on the curb and tried to think about what had just happened. Matt was my first everything. He was my first serious boyfriend and my first kiss. And to be honest, the first person I seriously cared about. How could he just leave me here; feeling absolutely worthless?

Just then the exit door flew open and Matt came running out. He was screaming my name and searching desperately to find me. I stood up from my spot, and carefully flagged him over.

"Hey," he said. His eyes were swollen and red.

"Listen, Matt-" I started, but his words silenced me.

"I really, really like you, Sums. But it's going to be hard for me to choose whether or not I want to be with Carly again. You have to understand that she was my girlfriend first. And she was so upset when I broke up with her for this new girl from some weird state across the country." He said, thrusting his hands into his pockets.

Some new girl? Is that all I was to him?

"Matt... If you think of me as just some frickin' new girl, than just stay out of my life." I shoved past him, but he caught my arm.

"Summer. I never thought of you that way. I thought of you as a new, mysterious, beautiful cheerleader that I wanted to get to know. But I never expected to fall in love with you."